Monday, March 4, 2013

Megadeth: So Far...So Good..So What?

File:Megadeth-SoFar.jpg

Megadeth: So Far...So Good..So What?

1987

Combat/Capitol Records

Format I Own it on: Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1. Into the Lungs of Hell  2. Set the World Afire  3.Anarchy in the U.K.  4. Mary Jane  5. 502  6. In My Darkest Hour  7. Liar  8. Hook in Mouth

Megadeth's 3rd album. I originally owned this on old-school cassette...it looked like this...



This is one I can't really pinpoint the time and place I first picked this up...I just seemed to kind of always have it...

I do remember my Brother Troy taping me off some songs once and the last track on it was "Hook in Mouth" but it cut off at the end, due to the tape running out...I can tell you my mind was totally blown and I became obsessed with finding the name and the entire song... I swear I used to love "Hook in Mouth" so much that I would write out the complete lyrics everywhere...in notebooks, on the back of tests...It was the greatest Thrash Metal song ever written in my mind...

Alright..The usual consensus is that this album sucks and doesn't stand up to Megadeth's subsequent output...and the blame for this usually falls on the band's cover of the Sex Pistol's "Anarchy in the U.K."  And it is true...it does suck...the band just doesn't have that raw sense of anarchy that the Pistols had...so it comes off as hollow and flat...

Anyway...here's a little personal story about this...My friend Josh and I used to endlessly watch  this video tape we had of Megadeth playing at the Rock in Rio festival... It was a pretty shitty recording...pretty much all you could hear was the vocals, and when Dave Mustaine sang "Anarchy in the U.K." he sounded really hilarious and chipmunky..."Iyyyy  Yammm an antiiiichryyyyst..." This cracked us up to no end.... Here. Here's the exact video...Listen to it...especially the first line of the song...It should greatly enhance the rest of the story...




Now, you wouldn't know it from this blog, but I can actually spell alright... One day I Somehow ended up in the school spelling bee... I had gone through  a few rounds and there I was on the stage, spotlight shining on me, looking out into a crowd of my peers...The teacher gives me my word..."Staphylococci." Alright...Not too bad...I can do this...I step up to the mic and for no reason on planet Earth I warble in a high, chipmunky voice, ..."Iyyyy  Yammm an antiiiichryyyyst..."

"Incorrect." the Teacher says and I go and sit down.

Why did I do this? I still don't truly know. Just seemed like the thing to do...

As usual, I'm crazy about the cover...I loooove 80's  heavy metal covers...Since I was a small child I've been obsessed with monsters and skeletons and stuff, so I've always been drawn to them... they're always so ambitious yet hokey...There's something so endearing about that...and outside of Iron Maiden, Megadeth had some of the best album art of the era...Vic Rattlehead was a great mascot and this time it's not just some mere painting of him...No, the front cover of "So Far...So Good...So What"  depicts an honest-to-God photograph of Vic Rattlehead!

Alright, I've done talking about this album...Let's check out some old Megadeth shirts from this time period...

 

This is probably some "Set the World Afire" related shirt...

 

 (Hey! My Brother Troy used to have this one...We used to refer to it as the shirt where he's "Squeezing the Crap out of an Eagle...")




































 (I used to have this exact back-patch...I think it might've originally belonged to my friend Josh or vice-versa...All I know is I owned it at one point and he owned it at one point...I used to always adorn my kick-ass jean jackets with back-patches...I actually still have a jean jacket vest with a metal-as-hell back-patch...Check this out...My brother-in-Law Jens got it for me for Christmas...




 YES!!! You saw it right...A POWERSLAVE back-patch...Sorry..I couldn't wait until I got around to Iron Maiden in 4 years to show that off...

Alright, I think we've all had a long day, let's listen to "Hook in Mouth" by Megadeth...



No comments:

Post a Comment