Thursday, March 7, 2013

Bad Brains: Into the Future

File:Badbrainsfuture.jpg

Bad Brains: Into the Future

2012

Megaforce Records

Format I Own it on: Compact Disc

Track Listing:  1. Into the Future  2. Popcorn  3. We Belong Together  4.Youth of Today  5. RubADub Love  6. Yes I  7. Suck Sess  8. Jah Love  9. Earnest Love  10. Come Down  11. Fun  12. Maybe a Joyful Noise  13. MCA Dub

It's weird because all the reviews I've read of this album mention the same criticism I gave "Build a Nation."  The complaint being that H.R. sounds like he's not even singing the same song the rest of the band is playing; that he sounds totally disconnected from what's going on. The odd thing is, I don't feel that way about this album at all. H.R. sounds totally on top of it, and this, to me, was the Bad Brains album I'd been waiting for...

"Into the Future" follows "Build a Nation's" blueprint (80's style hardcore outbursts, "I Against I" funk metal, dub reggae), but this time the songs seem much more fleshed out, even if lyrically, some of the songs ("Fun" and "Popcorn" in particular) are repetitive. But to me, it's not repetitive in an irritating way. The lyrics are more closely related to mantras...or Ramones lyrics...


The title track rips! That's all I can say, man...it just plain ass rips...I hate using he words "ass" and "rip" in the same sentence but I can't help it this time...Pure "Hell Yes!" hardcore...I'm all about that falsetto "whoo ooo oooo" backing vocal.

 H.R. has grown into one of the most distinctive vocalists around...If you haven't warmed up to H.R's idiosyncrasies by this point you're pretty much shit out of  luck. I'll have to admit his exaggerated vibrato, nonsensical chants, and deep-space crooning are an acquired taste but once you've wrapped your mind around it, look out!

It took a listen or two but "Fun" has become one of my favorite tracks. H.R. just makes a list of things that are fun. I don't quite share his view  that "school is fun," but hey, to each his own... Another track that kind of blew right past me the first few listens is their mostly instrumental tribute to the Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch, "MCA Dub." This dub-style track really does it for me, and I can't really recall hearing them use horns before, though I could be wrong...
 
...and is it just me or is this second album in a row with a song called "Jah Love" on it? Oh well...I like both "Jah Love's" so this works just fine for me...If I had to choose a favorite though, I'd  probably pick the "Jah Love" from "Build a Nation."

 I think "Into the Future" is an incredible addition to their canon, and gives me something new to reach for when I've played "I Against I" one too many times. This has actually been in heavy rotation for me since its release, which was a pleasant surprise. I still think they're the greatest hardcore band in the world...

Let's check out "Into the Future" by the Bad Brains...

No comments:

Post a Comment