Thursday, March 28, 2013

Band of Horses: Mirage Rock

File:Mirage Rock.jpg

Band of Horses: Mirage Rock
2012

Columbia Records

Format I Own it on; Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1. Knock Knock  2. How to Live  3. Slow Cruel Hands of Time  4. A Little Biblical  5. Shut-in Tourist  6. Dumpster World  7. Electric Music  8. Everything's Gonna Be Undone  9. Feud  10. Long Vows  11. Heartbreak on the 101

It sounds like a cloud has lifted. Band of Horses had always operated in a permanent fog of reverb, with Ben Bridwell's voice serving as a beacon, but now all that's gone and the production is clear as a bell. In fact, the record sounds great. They've totally nailed the classic rock vibe they've always flirted with, and Glyn Johns production sounds completely authentic, and to boot there's a genuine sense of fun on almost every track.

On the other hand, I think there's a slight shortage of great songs. I don't hear much that stands up to the best moments on their past albums.  Although, I think I might hold this band in a slightly higher regard than most people do...I'm dead serious in the fact that I'm having a hard time recalling albums I've enjoyed and played to death as much as the band's last two albums...They weren't mere My Morning Jacket knock-offs like I had originally pegged them...They transcended all that and put out masterfully understated albums that I still can't get enough of...So every time I see a Band of Horses album on the "Upcoming Releases" board at the Record Store, I 'm always excited, and always expect the world...

For a change the uptempo stuff is the best material here.  The fun, whoo-hooing first single "Knock Knock" was stuck in my head the moment I first heard it... Same goes for the catchy indie-pop of "A Little Biblical" and "Feud," which were  love at first listen.  I also dig "Electric Music" which is just straight-forward sun-kissed classic-rock...























(I've been waiting awhile to use that joke but I couldn't wait until next week's Beach Boys posts...)

There seems to be a lot of hate directed at the "Heavy Metal" touches on "Dumpster World."  I don't know...I kind of think that's probably the best part of the song...If anything it's the jazzy first half that I have a problem with...I also think people are taking the lyrics too literally... I seriously doubt they're advocating letting every one out of prison...Listen to it again...

So yea, a tad disappointing on first listen, but it has grown on me, and I can see it now as a cool, loose album...I enjoy this when I put it on, but still..another absolute  killer song or two wouldn't have hurt...But it is encouraging to see the band try on new genres and new voices (what is that deep, gravelly voice on "Heartbreak on the 101?) They may not have reached their past heights here, but they're also not stagnating...
So let's kick back and listen to "Feud" by Band of Horses...

No comments:

Post a Comment