Friday, March 1, 2013

Bad Brains: Bad Brains

File:Bad Brains debut.jpg

Bad Brains: Bad Brains

1982

ROIR

Format I Own it On; Vinyl and Compact Disc

Track Listing:  1. Sailin' On  2. Don't Need It  3. Attitude  4. The Regulator  5. Banned in D.C.  6. Jah Calling  7. Supertouch/Shitfit  8. Leaving Babylon  9. Fearless Vampire Killers  10. I  11. Big Take Over  12. Pay to Cum  13. Right Brigade  14. I Luv I Jah  15. Intro  16. Jah the Conqueror (unlisted)

Holy shit. This is probably still the fastest, most furious hardcore out there. The band has two speeds, laid back reggae and full-tilt foaming-at-the-mouth hardcore. The bass and guitar are so damn mean, and vocalist H.R. has to be heard to be believed. This guy is out there, he doesn't so much sing melodies as shrieks and  tosses out lyrics a mile a minute.   Just looking at the cover alone raises my raises my heart rate...

It may not seem like it the first time you hear it, but there's some incredibly catchy stuff here once you get acclimated to the attack and velocity of it all. Mention the tracks, "Big Takeover," "Banned in D.C," "Pay to Cum," and "Sailin' On," to any hardcore fan and watch them lose their shit. And it's for a good reason, in addition to the head-rush they're also incredible songs. I think sometimes people may have a hard time getting past H.R. at first (and he only gets more bizarre as their albums go on), but trust me, give it a chance and other vocalists will begin to sound like mere singers.


(Ohhh hoooo my God...I wish I could have gone to this show...The Stiff Little Fingers and the Bad Brains??!?! Why did all the good stuff happen when I was too young?!! I mean...I guess both of these bands are still around...so I guess it could happen again...)

The reggae tracks on this album are the eye of the hurricane. It  gives you a chance to catch your breath, get yourself  together, straighten your tie, then BAM! Suddenly you're hit with "Supertouch/Shitfit."  I don't think their reggae material is as striking or innovative as the hardcore songs, but they're still always enjoyable.  I mean, their hardcore tracks are a lot to live up to. These guys were to Hardcore, what the Ramones were to Punk. They codified the form. There was no mistaking it. This was hardcore.


So yea, don't miss out on this...Play this at you Friday Night Record Party and watch your guests pick up change...

Now let's check out "Pay to Cum" by the Bad Brains...

No comments:

Post a Comment