Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Bad Religion: Recipe for Hate

File:BadReligionRecipeForHate.jpg

Bad Religion: Recipe for Hate

1993

Epitaph/Atlantic Records

Format I Own it On: Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1. Recipe for Hate  2. Kerosene  3. American Jesus  4. Portrait of Authority  5. Man With a Mission  6. All Good Soldiers  7. Watch It Die  8. Struck a Nerve  9. My Poor Friend Me  10. Lookin' In  11. Don't Pray on Me  12. Modern Day Catastrophists  13. Skyscraper  14. Stealth

This is another good one from Bad Religion that seems to get mixed review, although I really don't understand why.  I think some of the band's catchiest and most well-written material appears here...I often hear the word "Grunge" thrown at this album, but I don't hear it (despite a guest appearance from Eddie Vedder). To me it just sounds like a continuation of the  slower punk approach they started on "Generator."

The band also continues experimenting with more  interesting instrumentation ...Check out the Fugazi-ish "All Good Soldiers,"  and  the steel guitar on "Man on a Mission." Where did that come from? I remember back when I was in High School, my Mom was driving me in to school one morning, I usually brought along some cassette to play on the ride in.  I used to have a cassette of this, by the way, it looked like this....

 

...Anyway, I put on the tape and it so happened to be on "Man on a Mission" and my Mom tells me, "You know, your Grandfather used to play music like this?"

"Punk rock?" I asked incredulously.

"No. Bluegrass."

So I guess I can see how this might rub the B,R fans who were in it for the Adrenalin-rush the wrong way, but for me, this is classic. "Skyscraper" is also on my short list of favorite B.R. track. Greg Graffin's easygoing delivery juxtaposed against the thrashing punk playing is brilliant!  I also never get tired of  the chorus harmonies on  "Kerosene." Another high point is the immortal "American Jesus," with a classic riff that's now a punk rock standard...

 




















 There are a few tracks on here that I've never quite warmed up to ("Portrait of Authority,"
"Modern Day Catastrophists"), but the rest of the material is so top notch that it's easy to overlook a few flaws...let's crank up "Skyscraper",,,

No comments:

Post a Comment