Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Band of Horses: Cease to Begin

File:Ceasetobegin.jpg

Band of Horses: Cease to Begin

2007

Sub Pop Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl and Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1. Is There a Ghost  2. Ode to LRC  3. No One's Gonna Love You  4. Detlef Schrempf  5. The General Specific  6. Lamb on the Lam (in the City)  7. Islands on the Coast  8. Marry Song  9. Cigarettes, Wedding Bands  10. Window Blues 

I must have played this album at least 200 times since its release and I can honestly say I've never once been sick of it...Just the opposite...as soon as it's over I want to immediately flip it over and play it again...

I don't know why this album hits me this way...It took a few listens too...But manoman, it hit me...The minute "Is There a Ghost" kicks into it's tower of guitars after its more atmospheric into, everything about it is startling bigger than their first album. Then it goes onto "Ode to LRC" which is just as catchy and powerful as the opener, and it continues this path...Every song on here is incredible...I just don't' want to listen to it...I want to grow a beard and live in it...

I think a few of the band's best songs are located here...the anthemic desperation of the alt-waltz "Cigarettes and Wedding Bands," and I'm insanely in love with "The General Specific." I wish I could convey to you how much time and money I've spent on the jukebox at the local bar "The Palo Verde"  listening to this song over and over...


 The breezy country melody and exaggeratedly rural vocals are so appealing and re-playable...I'm calling it one of my favorite (and most played) songs of the 2000's...

I even  like the power-ballad "No One's Gonna Love You," but by all means, avoid the overly auto-tuned cover by Cee-Lo at all costs...It was so bad it spoiled the song for me for the longest time... I've heard Cee-Lo sing in the 90's...he sounded fine...Why auto-tune the shit out of him? And if he can't deliver a proper performance, why doesn't he hire someone who knows how to use the program properly? I mean, almost everybody uses it now, hell, I even caught glimpses of it on "Infinite Arms" by Band of Horses but when used properly it can be close to imperceptible..but the Cee-Lo cover was just so ridiculously noticeable and detrimental...ugh...

Anyway...enough complaining about Cee-Lo...Instead let's order another pitcher of beer and a quarter glass of Red Bull form the Palo, throw a few coins in the jukebox and listen to "The General Specific" again...

2 comments:

  1. I bought this cd after just hearing the song samples and not knowing anything about this band just after it came out. The first time I heard Is There A Ghost I was blown away! My other favorites are No One's Gonna Love you and Detlef Schempf. This is the only album i've listened to by them. Sorry I missed your call sunday Jamin. When's a good time to get a hold of you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime's good to get ahold of me...I'm on Arizona time so i think I'm three hours behind you...I guess night time is the best...I was wondering if you liked these guys...Man, I love this album...I still listen to it all the time...

    ReplyDelete