Saturday, March 2, 2013

Bad Brains: Rock for Light

File:Rock for Light.jpg


Bad Brains: Rock for Light

1983

Caroline Records

Format I Own it On: Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1. Big Takeover  2. Attitude  3. Right Brigade 4. Joshua's Song  5. I and I Survive  6. Banned in D.C.  7. Supertouch 8. Destroy Babylon   9. F.V.K. (Fearless Vampire Killers 10. The Meek  11. I  12. How Low Can a Punk Get?  13. Sailin' On  14. Rock for Light  15. Rally 'Round Jah Throne  16. At the Movies  17. Riot Squad  18. How Low Can a Punk Get?  19. We Will Not  20. Jam

The second album by D.C. Hardcore pioneers the Bad Brains. This shares quite a few tracks with its predecessor, but it's mostly new and certainly still worth picking up, even  if you have the first album.

"Rock for Light"was produced by Ric Ocasek from the Cars, but that doesn't mean the Bad Brains go Pop or New Wave or whatever...This is all still light-speed hardcore or calm, spiritual reggae. I don't like the sound quite as much as the first album, though. That album was more direct-sounding and mean. This time, there's a wall of reverb separating us from the band...However, I think this approach helps the reggae songs.
Apparently for the CD version, in addition to some tracks being added, some of the songs are slightly sped-up. I can't really comment on this since I've never heard the original vinyl release. If this is the case,  it's doesn't seem too sped up...I mean, it doesn't sound like it's in fast-forward or anything (well, not any more so than usual...), and didn't seem to infringe on my enjoyment of the album.


Apart from the repeats from the first album, I think the high points are the anthemic title track, and the righteous  fury of  "Destroy Babylon." The reggae songs are all great this time around too, "I and I Survive" being particularly enjoyable.


This would be the last time the Bad Brains would be so straight-forward in their hardcore... After this album they would add more metal and funk to their sound, so if you tastes lean toward pure punk you're still safe here...So let's check out "Sailin' On" by the mighty Bad Brains...

No comments:

Post a Comment