Saturday, March 9, 2013

Bad Religion: No Control

File:BadReligionNoControl.jpg

Bad Religion: No Control

1989

Epitaph Records

Format I Own it on: Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1. Change of Ideas  2. Big Bang  3. No Control  4. Sometimes I Feel Like  5. Automatic Man  6. I Want to Conquer the World  7. Sanity  8. Henchman  9. It Must Look Pretty Appealing  10. You  11. Progress  12. I Want Something More  13. Anxiety  14. Billy  15. The World Won't Stop


Alright....I know this is wildly off-topic... but even though I think the fad has passed, I always wanted to make a lolcat...Today I finally made that dream come true...Here is a lolcat I made this morning...



Okay...Now I can die happy...Anyway...

Hot on the heels of their major comeback (a year later to be exact)  Bad Religion issued "No Control."

It becomes really apparent here that "Suffer" was no one-off and they were going to explore the new sound they debuted on that album. It kind of feels like "Suffer's little brother. If you liked that album then there's a 100% percent chance you're going to like "No Control" too...


This feels a touch faster, meaner, and more conflicted than "Suffer."  Check out the undefined angst of "Sometimes I Feel Like..." and "Anxiety." The band also takes a moment to slow things down a bit, as evidenced by the trudging  "Sanity." This slow track wasn't wholly without precedence, since they've been exploring this type of  punk-dirge as far back as "Drastic Actions" on their  first Ep, but they really refine the approach here, adding more melody,  I'm really crazy about  that  bass line...in fact, I've always loved their slower, heavier material...


 



















 (This was the insert on the original vinyl release. I used to have this on vinyl, but I gave it to my buddy ol' pal, Russ! Russ is awesome! He has a record player now, so he can listen to the shit out of it.!)

It's odd, I owned this album for years and despite hearing it countless times, I overlooked it. Probably since it came in between "Suffer" and "Against the Grain," but didn't seem to have the distinct strengths of either. The only tracks that really grabbed me were the catchy title track and "Sanity." But I picked up another copy of it recently and it really hit me this time . It's hard for me to believe that I overlooked "Change of Ideas" and "The World Won't Stop."

 Don't make the same mistakes I made, check out "No Control" by Bad Religion below....

No comments:

Post a Comment