Saturday, February 23, 2013

Tim Armstrong: A Poet's Life

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3a/TimArmstrong-APoet%27sLife.jpg

Tim Armstrong: A Poet's Life

2007

Hellcat Records

Format I Own it On: Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1.Wake Up  2. Hold On  3. Into Action  4. Translator   5. Take This City  6. Inner City Violence  7. Oh No  8. Lady Demeter  9. Among the Dead  10. Cold Blooded

Alas, "The Poet's Life," the first solo collection by renowned bard Tim Armstrong,  author of  such melodious sonnets as "Dope Sick Girl" with his poetry slam group Rancid...

Alright, I'm getting myself together...ahem...

This is Rancid vocalist /guitarist Tim Armstrong's first solo album. Best known for his marble-mouthed punk, on this album he explores his love of sweet 60's ska with backing band the Aggrolites.

I think this is probably my favorite release from Tim since Rancid 2000;  there's no punk at all, just track after track of throwback smooth 60's type ska... It's a great album to kick back and play while you're downing a box of Red Stripe...


















(Man, I should pick up some Red Stripe tonight...I love those little bottles...Last night I drank some Sessions..

.














Those come in those little bottles too...)

Wow. I was able to include a photo in that parentheses...
 
Sometimes his delivery can veer towards unintentional comedy (especially when he attempts to rap or toast...) but I'd say he pulls this off alright...The Aggrolites, however nail this sound. If it wasn't for the singing and the crystal clear recording you could talk me into believing these were real old school ska songs...it's really closely related to Armstrong's recent work with Jimmy Cliff. Also recommended for fans of Rancid's ska material...

Let's check out "Among the Dead"...

4 comments:

  1. i am going to search this out. it sounds just about perfect for some of our evenings on the patio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you haven't had the chance yet, I'd check out "Rebirth," the album that he did with Jimmy Cliff recently. It's in the same vein but it's waayyyy cooler... This one's good too though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebirth is amazing! I'm convinced it's impossible to get sick of.

    ReplyDelete