Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Apples in Stereo: Discovery of a World Inside the Moone

File:The discovery of a world inside the moone cover.jpg

Apples in Stereo: Discovery of a World Inside the Moone

2000

Spin Art/ Elephant 6 records

Format I Own it On: Compact Disc


Track Listing: 1. Go  2. The Rainbow  3.Stream Running Over  4. 20 Cases Suggestive Of...  5. Look Away  6. What Happened Then  7. I Can’t Believe  8. Submarine Dream  9. Allright/Not Quite  10. The Bird That You Can’t See  11. Stay Gold  12. The Afternoon

These guys seem determined to record an alternate soundtrack for "Yellow Submarine." The Apples in Stereo deliver track after track of watery psychedelic 60's influenced pop on what turns out to be  their best album.

They really stretch themselves here and try on genre after genre which oddly enough, helps them finally establish a really distinctive sound. "Go" is bouncy carnival madness and  yet it sounds like the Apples, "Submarine Dream" is slo-mo psychedelia and  yet it sounds like the Apples, "The Bird That You Can’t See" sounds like freakin' Parliament-Funkadelic and against all odds it still sounds like the Apples!


















(I should get to this album sometime around 2018!)

"Stream Running Over" even modernizes their sound by adding a fat beat and it works! In fact it's probably the most ridiculously catchy track on planet Earth  (its closest rival being "the Rainbow" which is also on this album.)

I'm telling you, I've listened to the shit out of this album over the years and I'm still not even remotely tired of it...The only tracks that really grate on me are "Go," which finds them finally falling into  the "Austin Powers" 60's parody I mentioned yesterday. You could totally see him go-go dancing to this...



I also never totally got into "What Happened Then" either...it mostly just reminds me of how awesome "Strawberry Fields Forever" was...But skip those two tracks and it's all gold! (By the way, it seems a lot of people really like "Go," so I could be wrong about that one...Hasn't grown on me in the 13 years I've heard it, but who knows...)

I bought this album when it originally came out at the Media Play in Saginaw, Michigan...

File:Mediaplay.JPG

Apparently Media Play no longer exists...They were pretty cool for a big box store cos they sold Cd's, electronics and books... I used to live in a tiny village called Hale that had no record stores within a 120 mile radius, so I used to drive halfway down the state just to buy records...Internet hadn't really hit there, (I think it was only a couple years ago you could get actually get DSL) So I used to drive a 100 or so miles to this place twice a month to pick up Apples in Stereo CD's, Monty Python videotapes, and various books...I can't tell if that was awesome or if it sucked...

Oh well, time to bust out the Matlock screenshot again....

File:Matlock.png
Let's check out "The Rainbow" by the Apples in Stereo...


No comments:

Post a Comment