Saturday, February 2, 2013

Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass: South of the Border

File:SouthOfTheBordercover.jpg

Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass: South of the Border

1964

A&M Records

Format I Own it On: Vinyl

Track Listing:  1.South of the Border  2.The Girl from Ipanema  3. Hello, Dolly!  4. I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face  5. Up Cherry Street  6. The Mexican Shuffle 7. El Presidente  8. All My Loving  9. Angelito  10. Salud, Amor y Dinero (Health, Love and Money)  11. Número Cinco  12. Adiós, Mi Corazón (Goodbye, My Heart)

Boy, am I out of league with this one. This isn't the type of music I normally listen to, but as anyone who collects vinyl records can tell you, it's only a matter of time before you own a Herb Alpert record...or in my case 5 of them. This particular record was a gift from my friends Paul & Jessica.

This is the third album from Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass and if you've never heard them before then I guess the best way to describe them would be easy listening jazz music with strong pop and Mariachi overtones...in other words this sounds exactly like Game Show Music. I'm serious! It's totally impossible to not be happy when you listen to this! When I listen to this I feel like Bob Barker's calling me down to play "Plinko!"



So yea, if you're ever in you're cruising  around in your car and feel like bumping some "Match Game"  music, this is totally the album to play. I was actually familiar with a lot of the songs on the album, although not the Herb Alpert versions...I knew "South of the Border" from a Prince Tubby records I have, and they do a version of "All My Loving" that would sound great in an elevator, and then there's the "Free Bird" of easy listening "The Girl From Ipanema." So this album actually went down pretty smooth for me...

Oh yea, speaking of going down smooth, how's your Mother? Errr...I mean, What should we drink while we're listening to this?

File:PatronGoldBottle.jpg

Nahhh, too authentic...

File:Dry Martini-2.jpg

The easy answer would be a Martini, but I don't think that's quite right... Your tie should be tight when you're drinking a Martini...You should be listening to "Herb Alpert" after a hard day at the office...You come home, loosen your tie, put on "South of the Border" and have your wife go to the kitchen and make you...

File:Tom Collins cocktail.jpg

...A Tom Collins! Perfect!

So let's put up our feet, sip a Tom Collins, listen to "South of the Border" and fantasize about fighting bulls....

No comments:

Post a Comment