Friday, February 8, 2013

American Steel: Rogue's March

File:Roguesmarch.jpg

American Steel: Rogue's March

1999

Lookout Records

Track Listing:  1. Loaded Gun  2. Every New Morning  3. Graveyards  4. Got a Backbeat  5. Rogue's March  6. Whiskey, Women and Blackguarding (Ain't No Cure for a Broken Heart)  7. Hope Springs From Somewhere  8. Insurrection Ave.  9. Bloody Murder  10. One of These Days  11. There Could Be More  12. Optimist  13. Parting Glass

This album was my introduction to American Steel. I discovered it simply by blindly ordering it, as I said in a previous post, I bought almost every release from Lookout Records. No questions asked. I think it still holds up as a highlight of Lookout's late 90's output.

The band smooths things out a bit, but it's still plenty raw.  Musically, they remains blistering punk but they toss in a bunch of cool instrumental touches, such as hints of Reggae and late 50's-early 60's oldies. They make huge strides in the song-writing department, I mean, these are incredible songs! Check out "Got a Backbeat." Is that catchy or what? I also lovelovelove "Insurrection Ave." where the band's white-hot political fury almost recalls the Clash's epic punk outrage! I'm telling you, if you see this disc at your local record shop, pick it up.



(Every New Morning single cover...also a good song!)

I think I might be losing my mind a little, due to the fact that I kind of hear Sting creeping into Rory's vocal inflections. I mean, listen to "Bloody Murder" sometime and tell me what you think... Mostly his approach still sounds like a more sand-blasted version of Tim Armstrong but I think he's getting his vocals under control here and he sounds great.

Just another cool album.  If you're into the grittier side of pop-punk, I think you'll find much to like here...Glad I busted this one out again...Now, you should listen to "Got a Backbeat" with me...You won't regret it...

No comments:

Post a Comment