Monday, February 25, 2013

Avail: Dixie

File:Avail-Dixie-cover.jpg

Avail: Dixie

1994

Lookout Records

Format I Own it On: Compact Disc


Track Listing: 1. On the Nod  2. Clone  3. Tuning  4. Song  5. Sidewalk  6. 25 Years  7. Virus  8. Beliefs Pile  9. Treading on Heels  10. Model  11. South Bound 95  12. Pink Houses

This was another Lookout Records release that was really big  hit with me and my friends back in the mid-90's...I think my friend Cory (R.I.P) introduced me to this band. I'd describe them as a melodic rural hardcore band, bringing to mind Carhartts and  lawns scattered with car parts and rusted tricycles. I mean, they even do a punk version of John Cougar-Mellencamp's "Pink Houses!" Rural as fuck!

.


















Like I said, this record was a big hit in my area, the mid-tempo pounder "Tuning" in particular. I can recall hanging out at bonfires on Friday and Saturday Nights at either Scott or Joe's house... Everybody would pull up their trucks and play their car radios...and this one was one we'd all beller along to...We even went to one of Avail's shows in Detroit  right around the time of this release of this album. I'll never forget the show because once we were in, some guy pulled his shirt up to reveal a gun he had tucked in his boxers... So I was a little nervous to say the least. But nothing bad happened....Avail played a mighty set, full of favorites from the "Dixie" album, winning over the crowd in big way, despite some persistent sound problems... I went back to see these guys a couple more times during the '90's.

They really were an incredible live band, and I consider their run of albums starting with "Dixie" through "Over the James" to be highlights of that era. Catchy, sweaty, shout-a-long punk. We need these guys back...

While we're listening to Avail's 1994 classic "Dixie" let's take a look back at the events of 1994...

This was the year of the "Whitewater" scandal; which began when investigator's took a closer look into  real estate investments made by Bill and Hillary Clinton and their associates Jim and Susan McDougal and...























...You know what? This is boring.

Let's just combine all of the events of 1994 into one big exciting event...

In 1994, after killing Kurt Cobain...












 ...O.J. Simpson and Tonya Harding drive a white Ford Bronco...


















 all the way to Norway for the Winter Olympics in Lillehammer!

File:1994 Winter Olympics logo.svg

There, that was exciting!

Now let's listen to "South Bound 95" by Avail...







5 comments:

  1. I remember listening to this in Cory's (RIP) parents' basement on vinyl and it seemed like his turntable was slow but it was still really good. This is still my favorite AVAIL album. My favorite is "25 Years".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yea...I remember his slow turntable...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we used to always tell him it was slow too...and he didn't believe us...Yea, "25 Years" is awesome...I kind of forgot how great "Sidewalk" was too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. so much nostalgia in such a small space. a number of these albums have taken me back to some very fine times. hey joe! thanks jamin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scott, Joe and I in the same place again! This is great! (warm my hands by the virtual King Horse...)

    ReplyDelete