Friday, January 11, 2013

Adam and the Ants: Dirk Wears White Sox

File:AdamandtheAntsDirkWearsWhiteSox.jpg

Adam and the Ants: Dirk Wears White Sox

1979 (original release date), 1983 (U.S. version Release date)

Epic/CBS records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. Car Trouble  2. Kick!  3. Digital Tenderness  4. Nine Plan Failed  5. Family of Noise  6. Tabletalk  7. Zerox  8. Cleopatra  9. Never Trust a Man (With Egg on His Face)  10. Animals and  Men  11. The Idea  12. Whip in my Valise

I picked up a used vinyl copy of the 1983 U.S. version about a year ago at FYE. I love Adam Ant's music, going as far as saying "Kings of the Wild Frontier" is maybe the album I've listened to most in my life, but I could never find a copy of "Dirk Wears White Sox." I had only previously heard four of the tracks on the compilation album, "Antics in the Forbidden Zone."

 To this day I still haven't heard the original 1979 version or the missing tracks ( "Catholic Day" and "The Day I Met God.") These songs were replaced by the early singles "Zerox," "Car Trouble" and  its B-side "Kick," which are more in line with what you expect from an Adam Ant record. These two singles reflect the band's signature mix of new wave, glam rock ,and spaghetti western (complete with cowboys and Indians!) and are easily the best tracks here...



"Car Trouble" is just an amazing new-wave/pop single. It starts with muted guitar during the hushed verses and slowly adds cool new elements, until the song is bursting with great hooks, massed vocals and exciting guitar licks. A perfect example of the sort of thing Adam and the Ants excel at.

Then we get "Kick." This is really close in sound and spirit to the wild, drum-heavy, American-Indian gang-chant sound he perfects later on "Kings of the Wild Frontier." Dig all those hyphens! It's also worth noting that the "Car Trouble/Kick" single introduces the guitar genius of Marco Pirroni which makes all the difference. I can't say enough good things about his playing here, and he would go on to prove himself an invaluable collaborator on Adam's subsequent albums.

The other early single, not originally included on the album is "Zerox," which comes across as a camp Gang of Four. Which I'm cool with.

 The remainder of the album is an interesting departure. It  features an artier post-punk sound, which doesn't quite "pop" in the same way as the singles. There are some definite ups and downs. The ups: Digital Tenderness, which sometimes threatens to turn into "Cartrouble" but is catchy nonetheless. "Animals and Men" is a blast, too. Guaranteed to wonk people out at your next Friday Night Record Party.

 I would probably classify the dulls-ville "Tabletalk" as a down, despite it's interesting (although a bit routine for the late 70's) dub touches. However, "Tabletalk" might work as the comedown after a long Friday Night Record party, and it does go pretty well with a nice dry Sauvignon Blanc, so....

File:Jackson Estate Sauvignon blanc.jpg

This would be the one and only full length featuring the original "Ants" as they were later lured away to form Bow-Wow-Wow, who oddly enough, sounded kinda like post-"Dirk Wears White Sox" Adam Ant.



I should probably also mention, the original UK issue of the album came in a different sleeve....

File:DirkWearsWhiteSoxOriginalCover.gif

...which is pretty cool, but I like the reissue cover better. It maintains the "photographed video screen" aesthetic of  his next few albums. Whoa, look at the Z's on "Antz."

All in all, an interesting debut, but I wouldn't start with this one...They would top "Dirk Wears White Sox" in every conceivable way on their next album, but if you're already a big fan of Adam Ant, then I would pick this up with no hesitation, whatsoever...

Now, I can't tell if I'm celebrating 1979 or 1983...So, I don't know whether to throw a 70's fondue party...

File:Swiss fondue 2.jpg

...or play Q*Bert on my 2600...

File:Qbert.png

...either way playing "Car Trouble" by Adam and the Ants(z) should liven things up...





No comments:

Post a Comment