Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Flock of Seagulls: A Flock of Seagulls

File:DebutSeagulls.jpg


A Flock of Seagulls: A Flock of Seagulls

1982

Jive Records

Format I Own it On: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. I Ran (So Far Away)  2. Space  Age Love Song  3. You Can Run  4. Don't Ask Me  5. Messages  6. Telecommunication  7. Modern Love is Automatic  8. Standing in the Doorway  9. D.N.A  10. Man Made

I know it probably sucks for A Flock of Seagulls to be typecast as "just an 80's band," but it's really hard not to..."I Ran" was everywhere in '82, with its memorable echo-plexed guitar lead, catchy vocal line and robotic rhythm, and then suddenly you never heard it again until the rise of 80's revival.

I can recall seeing a vinyl copy of their self-titled debut in a pawn shop in Oscoda, Michigan in the early 90's....I was instantly fascinated by the awesome-yet-horrible cover, but ultimately passed on buying it because I was under the impression it was some sort of new romantic "wussy" music. Years later I found an old K-Tel compilation at a thrift store with a cover so freakin' rad, I had no choice but to buy it...

Ladies and gentlemen....K-Tel Records presents....


YESS!!!!!

Now, I no longer have this record, but I remember putting it on and there it was..."I Ran (So Far Away)" by A Flock of Seagulls... You know that spooky feeling you get when you heard a song you hadn't heard in 10 years that you totally forgot about? This was one of those moments...It still sounded exciting. Now keep in mind, I know a lot of people have a real problem with 80's production values. I think it strikes them as "cheesy" or something. I don't have any such qualms. This was just how music sounded when I was a kid. So if I wanted to listen to music, I had no choice but to like it. I mean, I can listen to "Invisible Touch" by Genesis and not even flinch...

I just had a horrifying thought! When kids these days are adults, will they still be able to listen to auto-tuned bullshit with a straight-face, just cos they're used to it?! If that's the case, then I weep openly for the future! (I'm picturing a smoldering apocalyptic wasteland where twisted mutants get their jollies by listening to the Black Eyed Peas!)

Anyway, a year or so ago, I was jonesin' for some 80's music and picked up a vinyl copy of the debut album by A Flock of Seagulls at the local Zia records, for $1.99. If you like "I Ran" then it's safe to say you're going to like this whole album, because all the songs sound like "I Ran" with slight changes in atmosphere. For example, "Space Age Love Song" softens "I Ran's" formula, and so on.

I have to say though, "Telecommunication" is an incredible song. So catchy and futuristic. Unfortunately, this type of music ended up not actually being indicative of what music would sound like in the future. As it turns out, people in the future really wanted to hear "Gangnam Style"... 





But wait! I just thought of something! Maybe I'm just not far enough into the future yet! Maybe in the year 3000 robotic synth-rock will be blasting from every holo-deck! Yay! I'm optimistic for the future again!

But yea, if you want to play A Flock of Seagulls at your next 80's themed Friday Night Record party but "I Ran" seems all played out, I think "Telecommunication" would be a great choice! I'm telling you, if one of these up and coming 80's revival bands put out a song of this caliber, everybody would be falling all over themselves praising the band as the next saviors of rock n roll...

Oh yea, what do you drink while you're listening to A Flock of Seagulls?



















No...

File:Pabst Blue Ribbon logo.svg

...not quite...


no, not that either, something a little more, European...




















Yea, that's it! Or....

File:Bartles & Jaymes original flavor.jpg

PERFECT!!!

To be honest, when I listened to this last night I was drinking this...



...and it worked just fine.

C'mon, man! It's 1982! Let's drink some wine coolers and watch E.T!

File:E t the extra terrestrial ver3.jpg

Or we can stay home, put A Flock of Seagulls on the record player and listen to "Telecommunication!" Either way...




Actually it is kind of New Romantic "wussy" music...but it's awesome New Romantic "wussy" music...So...

No comments:

Post a Comment