Thursday, January 23, 2014

Be-Bop Deluxe: Modern Music




















Be-Bop Deluxe: Modern Music

1976


Harvest Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1.  Orphans Of Babylon 2.  Twilight Capers  3. Kiss Of Light  4. The Bird Charmer's Destiny  5.  The Gold At The End Of My Rainbow  6.  Bring Back The Spark  7. Modern Music  8.  Dancing In The Moonlight  9.  Honeymoon On Mars 10.  Lost In The Neon World  11.  Dance Of The Uncle Sam Humanoids  12. Modern Music (Reprise)  13. Forbidden Lovers 14. Down On Terminal Street  15. Make The Music Magic 





I probably should have put this one first. Like I said it was released before "Live! In the Air Age", but it was recorded after.  The band felt they were entering a whole new era with this release and wanted to commemorate the closing of the previous chapter with a live album. 


 I first heard "Modern Music" in early 2013. Like I stated earlier, someone let my wife borrow a CD of the album and as soon as I put it on, I immediately loved the opening track " Orphans Of Babylon." Such beautifully intricate guitar-work.  Even Bill Nelson's singing (which barely registered to me on the previous albums) catches me here. I love his phrasing on the "We've got no alibis' tonight..." line. The song is highly reminiscent of "Maid in Heaven" (which you might recall me raving about yesterday), but I think it's different enough to justify its existence. 

Anyway, as soon as I heard the track, I rushed to the record store and found a used vinyl copy for just a couple bucks... I don't know why "Orphans of Babylon," strikes me as a such a great lost "classic rock" track. The only possible reason for its exclusion from the FM radio pantheon is a possible lack of "muscle." Be-Bop Deluxe is more about brains than brawn, and if there's one thing that characterizes the taste of the American consumer, it's definitely not "brains"...


Exhibit A



Exhibit B


Exhibit C


Exhibit D

Exhibit E


Exhibit F


"Exhibit Q! A scale-model of the entire mall! X marks the scene of the crime! These arrows here show the exact position of the sun at the hour of the crime! Jupiter was aligned with Pluto!"

Boy, I better get back on topic...I like this "Modern Music" album. I don't think any of the other tracks quite touch the opener, but some come very close...For example, I like the light, Caribbean-rock feel of "Kiss Of Light." For some reason it reminds me of late 70's Kinks...I could easily picture this on "Misfits" or "Low Budget."  The chorus harmonies and dreamy playing on "Bring Back the Spark" makes it another highlight for me. One of those songs that I feel like I've known my entire life, but forgot about somehow...
 
Side two of the album is a side-long song-suite, a la "Abby Road." These types of suites usually come with the accusation, "Oh, they must have been running out of ideas!" but I can't see this being the case...It strikes me more as an abundance of ideas...Nine interwoven songs that convey that sleek, futuristic vibe that I was discussing yesterday...Sort of a radio transmission beamed from a zeppelin floating ominously over an art-deco space city....And besides, Side Two is where we find the care-free melody of "Forbidden Lovers," which is a stand-out track for sure! 


 A word of warning before you pick up your own copy of "Modern Music"..."Taste" is a trait that's in short supply these days and this record can come across as a little too tasteful, which might translate as "boring" to modern ears, but I can assure you things will sink in around the third listen... I can also see how songs like "The Bird Charmer's Destiny", for example,  might come across as unbearably pretentious and dull if your ears aren't attuned to prog, but rest assured, you're never too far from a "fuck yea!" moment...

That said, let's check out "Orphans of Babylon" by Be-Bop Deluxe...Enjoy.... 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment