Monday, January 6, 2014

Alkaline Trio: My Shame is True

File:Myshameistrue.jpg

Alkaline Trio: My Shame is True

2013

Heart & Skull/Epitaph

Format I Own it on: Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1. She Lied To The FBI  2. I Wanna Be A Warhol  3. I’m Only Here To Disappoint  4. Kiss You To Death  5. The Temptation of St. Anthony  6. I, Pessimist  7.  Only Love  8. The Torture Doctor  9. Midnight Blue  10. One Last Dance  11. Young Lovers  12. Until Death Do Us Part



 Ahh, 2013...The year of the drone...


 ...the year we got a new pope...


 ...and also the year we got a new Alkaline Trio album in the form of "My Shame is True." I like these guys and their constant use of macabre puns! They kind of remind me of Freddy Krueger, in that sense...



...and the album is pretty good too...At this point I'm sure you know what to expect...A bunch of dark, cynical pop-punkers by Skiba and a few anguished ravers by Andriano thrown in...Not quite the throwback that "This Addiction" was...This seems to further things a bit, with a more mature outlook. I think this is stronger overall than "This Addiction," but it doesn't have the highpoints that album had...Still, quite a few good 'uns...

File:Alkaline Trio's single, "I Wanna Be A Warhol", Feb 2013.jpeg

Honestly, the first two songs ("She Lied to the FBI" and "I Wanna Be A Warhol") don't really bowl me over. "She Lied to the FBI" is slight fun, and I love the verses to "Warhol" but the chorus doesn't do much for me.  But that doesn't matter cos "I'm Only Here to Disappoint" comes along,  punches me in the gut and forces me to sing along...This is the reason I'm first in line whenever the band puts out a new album...

Y'know, I find myself with not a lot to say about this record...It's not their best and it's probably not their worst...If you're into the band's post "Good Mourning" material you'll probably like it..If you're stuck on the Asian Man years, this ain't gonna change your mind...I think I'm going to write a review about Alkaline Batteries instead...



















Alkaline Battery

Expiration Date 2048

Size: AA

This is a pretty good battery. I keep it in my fridge right behind a package of hotdogs and next to the soymilk...

I can recall going to Quality Farm and Fleet in 1998 and buying this battery, with friendly assistance from Tina who had big, party hair....


I'll never forget going home and putting the battery into Billy the Loudmouth Bass. He and I had a long talk about where my life went wrong and how others would never love me until I learned to love myself...

"I'm hooked on prescription painkillers!"

I'm surprised this battery still works...I've had it for over 15 years now and it's like an old friend to me now...We eventually had a falling out over some money he loaned me, but hey! Why should I pay him back?!?! I don't even have that that hooker anymore!

Anyhoo, I highly recommend this battery cos it says, "Thunderbolt Magnum" on it and that's what I named my motorcycle.


Well, I don't have a motorcycle exactly, but I do have a shirt that has one on it...Sometimes when I wear this shirt, I close my eyes, hold my arms out and I can feel the cool wind in my face and it kinda feels like I've got a sweet Harley between my legs...I eat a couple bugs to complete the illusion...So yea, I've got a motorcycle, I guess...

Oh yea, the "My Shame is True" cover has a motorcycle on it! Look, I'm tying it all back together!

File:Myshameistrue.jpg

I should probably mention how much I like the big dumb chorus on the "Torture Doctor." I know people who say it's cheap and underwritten, but I'm sticking up for it, because it sounds great when you're all beered up and feel like pumping yer fist in the air..."Hey! Ho-o-o!" Hell yea! I'm not sure about that Rise Against singer on "I Pessimist" though...I think Matt would sound better...The guy sounds a little generic and emo-y for mt tastes...I've only listened to one Rise Against album and I literally felt nothing...

File:Revolutions per minute (album).jpg

But then again I was watching some live video of them and they sounded pretty good...Am I listening to the wrong stuff?  And why do I always get Rise Against mixed up with Against Me?

File:Against Me! - New Wave cover.jpg

And why do I always get Against Me mixed up with Born Against (who are easily the best "Against" band)?


I don't know...I didn't invite you here to ponder life's unknowable answers...I invited you here to listen to some Alk..Here's "I'm Only Here to Disappoint"...Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment