Monday, January 13, 2014

Apples in Stereo: Her Wallpaper Reverie



File:Her wallpaper reverie cover.jpg

Apples in Stereo: Her Wallpaper Reverie

1999

SpinART/Elephant 6 Records

Format I Own it on: Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1.  i. Her Room Is A Rainy Garden (Wallpaper Reverie Theme)  2. ii. Morning Breaks (And Roosters Complain)  3. The Shiney Sea  4. iii. The Significance Of A Floral Print  5. Strawberryfire  6. iv. From Outside, In Floats A Music Box  7. Ruby  8. v. She Looks Through Empty Windows  9. Questions and Answers  10. vi. Drifting Patterns  11. Y2K  12. vii. Les Amants  12. Benefits of Lying (With Your Friend)  13. Ruby, Tell Me  14. viii. Together They Dream Into The Evening




Welcome to the 2014 Friday Night Record Party Wallpaper Catalog,


 (cracks a couple of your proximal phalanges with my especially dominant handshake) 

This year we have a tantalizing selection of wallpaper samples for your entire family to enjoy. Select the wallpaper that perfectly expresses your complex and unique personality from our 5 selections...


 Catalog No. 00006969696969

Royal Eyepunch

This evergreen favorite was designed by our top designer, Hans HanHanne, who was inspired by a spirited conversation with his wife, wherein he suggested she had inherited her mother's "fat-ass and legs." Hans' wife clobbered him on the noggin with a cast-iron sautee pan, which resulted in a dazzling endoptic light-show that inspired HanHanne's most beloved design...


 

 Catalog No. 000000000OU812  

August Brick

Why not throw away those old, outdated bricks holding your house up and replace them with this sturdy, stylish representation of bricks , pain-stakingly hand painted by renowned brick-painter Brock Brickman?


Catalog No. 00000000005150

Fake Vomit

Amazingly realistic PUKE! Looks like someone was SICK, SICK, SICK! Almost turns your stomach to use as a joke, it's so realistic. Made out of durable, high-impact plastic. Place by baby, dog, dinner table, midnight mass, loved-one's funeral, to pretend you've been sick. Revolting.

Fake Vomit.........99 cents



Catalog No. 00000000001994

Magic Eye

Relive the 3D image craze of the 1990's!  Hold the wallpaper sample up to your nose, then very slowly pull away, letting your eye relax...You will feel a very sharp pain in your right temple followed by a sickening twinge of nausea.  At this point the fun-lovin' image of a puppy should appear. If the image does not appear, please consult a physician immediately. 


 Catalog No: 00000000001972

Something/Anything? 

Hello, it's me. I've thought about us for a long, long time. Maybe I think too much, but something's wrong. There's something here doesn't last too long. Maybe I shouldn't think of you as mine...


Thank you for reading our catalog. We hope your family will find comfort in our wide variety of heart-warming wallpapers for many years to come...


- Slick Snailman, CEO and Vice-Janitor for Cashco Wallpaper Chemical Corp. LLC, Inc

 ..................................................................................................................................................
 I'd like to thank everyone for coming over to the blog today to read the promotional literature...

Anyway, "Her Wallpaper Reverie" is a 1999 release by Apples in Stereo. I almost bought this when it was first released but the track listing looked a little suspicious to me...What was up with all the roman numerals? Well, I went home and did some research and found out it was a 27 minute mini-album and all the roman numeral songs were just brief, instrumental interludes (except for "Drifting Patterns" which is a long version of these...). It's usually someone playing some toy-sounding instrument...


 So when all is said and done you get roughly 20 minutes (and about 7 songs) of the Apple's sweet,  sunshiney, psychedelic pop...

But everywhere I looked it was priced like a regular CD...No way I'm paying $14.99 for an ep, so I stayed patient and earlier this year I found a used copy for basically free at FYE...


The location I frequent is going out of business at the end of this month, and everything is reduced 50-70% percent...I mean, I wish the place wasn't going under, but at the same time I'm having a blast picking them over...

So I finally got to hear the elusive "Her Wallpaper Reverie" and boy, am I happy...The seven proper full-band rock songs are all great...This isn't psychedelia in the 13th Floor Elevators/Hawkwind sense.These aren't interstellar spacemen with LSD-blasted third eyes...No, these are the gentle, poppy psychedelic songs in the vein of late 60's, early 70's Saturday Morning TV shows...


 More Banana Splits than Syd Barrett...But not so "phony" sounding if you know what I mean...I think it's what the Banana Splits was probably aiming for, but didn't quite have the artistry to pull off....I guess what I'm trying to get at is soothing songs like "The Shiney Sea" and the Sgt Pepper flavored "Strawberryfire" just make you feel good...And "Ruby" is indie-pop heaven...Hits me right in the part of the brain that longs for well-constructed, sugary melodies...

I love visiting, this bright, friendly wonderland of effortless hooks and ornate harmonies. I wish I had heard it sooner, since I think it holds its own against early classics like Tone Soul Evolution.  If you run across a reasonably priced copy, go for it, especially if you're one of those people, like me, who wish that the Beatles had squeezed out a couple more albums in the "Magical Mystery Tour" mold...

Here's "The Shiney Sea" by the Apples in Stereo...








No comments:

Post a Comment