Monday, September 23, 2013

Captain Beefheart: Music in Sea Minor















Captain Beefheart: Music in Sea Minor

1983

PRT Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. Electricity  2. Yellow Brick Road  3. Zig Zag Wanderer  4. Kandy Korn  5. Abba Zabba  6. Drop Out Boogie  7. I'm Glad  8. 25th Century Quaker


I bought this a few months back at Revolver Records in Tempe...It was hanging on the wall behind the counter and I had no idea what in the hell it was...A mustard-yellow 10 inch with a very "budget" looking cover... The guy working there didn't know what it was either...I had him take it down and throw it on my "buy" pile...I always love 10 inch records but I own very few of them...The only other 10 inch records in my collection are...

File:Found All the Parts cover.jpg

Cheap Trick: Found All the Parts...

 File:Oingo Boingo.cover.jpg

Oingo Boingo...



















 Damned: Looking at You...

After I paid for it and got it home, it appeared to be some sort of UK compilation of songs from Captain Beeheart's first two albums..."Safe as Milk" (which I discussed yesterday) and  "Mirror Man"...

File:Mirror Man Beefheart.jpg

(which I've never heard.)

I have to give credit to whoever compiled this...If I had to pick the six best songs from "Safe As Milk" I think my selection would look pretty similar...I think I forgot to mention yesterday how I much I enjoy "Yellow Brick Road." It sounds like such a happy kids song...Maybe a close relative of "Pop Goes the Weasel"...



No, not that "Pop the Weasel"...




















Yea! That one! 

The two "Mirror Man" selections are feature-length blues jams that showcase the Magic Band more than Captain Beefheart...and apparently they're the two shortest songs from that album...I particularly like "Kandy Korn" but I can't say either song really makes me wanna run to the record store and pick up a copy of "Mirror Man" anytime soon...

But yea, glad I found this...I have a real love for oddball releases like this...I mean who was it for? Someone mildly curious about early Captain Beefheart albums but didn't want to invest in a whole twelve inches of his work? 

Alright, fair enough...Let's check out "Electricity" by Captain Beefheart...Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment