Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Buzzcocks:Operator's Manual: Buzzcock's Best

File:Buzzcocks - Operators Manual LP album cover.jpg

Buzzcocks:Operator's Manual: Buzzcock's Best

1991

IRS Records

Format I Own it on: Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1. Orgasm Addict  2. What Do I Get?  3. I Don't Mind  4. Autonomy  5. Fast Cars  6. Get on Our Own  7.  Sixteen  8. Fiction Romance  9. Love You More  10. Noise Annoys  11. Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)  12. Operators Manual  13. Nostalgia  14. Walking Distance  15. Nothing Left  16. ESP  17. Promises  18. Lipstick  19. Everybody's Happy Nowadays  20. Harmony in My Head  21. You Say You Don't Love Me  22. I Don't Know What to Do with My Life  23. I Believe  24. Are Everything  25. Radio Nine

A 1991 compilation...Now that I think of it, this would be their first greatest hits album, since "Singles Going Steady" is actually just a collection of A-Sides and B-Sides..."Operator's Manual" collects all those A-sides (and a good number of those B-sides) along with album tracks....

This provides a pretty accurate overview of their work actually...Although known for their pop-perfection, they also had an adventurous side, which this compilation doesn't shy away from...This is best represented by the inclusion of  deep-album cuts like "Sixteen" and  "I Believe."

But for the most part it's friendly, catchy punk...I've covered most of the highlights already, but there's a few I haven't...The strongest being their transitional 1979 singles "Everybody's Happy Nowadays" and "Harmony in My Head."



"Everybody's Happy Nowadays" finds the chirpy Pete Shelley sending up the band's image:

"Life's an illusion,
Love is a dream..."

He sings the downer lyrics in the happiest voice possible, and the arrangement is ambitious as hell...Lots of stops,starts, drop-outs and  Interesting guitar textures..."Harmony in My Head" follows this same formula, but gives it an angrier punk tone...Now these are great punk singles...


The 1978 "Promises/Lipstick" single is cool too...Very catchy and modern...The b-side "Lipstick" is notable in that the riff is also used in ex-Buzzcock member Howard Devoto's  song "Shot by Both Sides"...

Here, you can hear from yourself...Here's "Lipstick" by the Buzzcocks....




...and here's "Shot by Both Sides" by Magazine...



Speaking of Howard Devoto, they should have used something from the "Spiral Scratch" ep...Maybe "Breakdown" or "Boredom"...

File:Spiralscratch.jpg

It would have given a fuller view of the Buzzcocks' development, but that aside, the song selection is dead-on...I don't know what I would have done differently, really....If you lean more towards pop immediacy, "Singles Going Steady" is probably a better introduction, but man, "Operator's Manual" is incredible...I say take the plunge on this...You can usually find this in any record store for a reasonable price...

But before you head off to the record shop, let's check out "Harmony in My Head" by the Buzzcocks...Enjoy...





No comments:

Post a Comment