Sunday, October 30, 2016

The Exploited: Troops of Tomorrow
















The Exploited: Troops of Tomorrow

1982

Grand Slamm Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. Jimmy Boyle  2. Daily News  3. Disorder  4. Alternative  5. U.S.A.  6. Rapist  7. Troops of Tomorrow  8. UK 82  9. Sid Vicious Was Innocent  10. War  11. They Won't Stop  12. So Tragic  13. Germs  14. Class War



Hey! My copy just has a picture of Wattie yelling (presumably about Maggie and/or Anarchy). Where's the sweet metal album cover?!


I love the (literally) squatting punk on the far left and the (literally) squat punk on the far right. He looks really worried. I can see the zombies behind him, but I still have to wonder what's on the other side of the camera that has Big John so terrified? Let's turn the camera around...

Oh no! It's the 1982 debut by Kenny G!

Anyway, I love the painted fucking metal cover. I wish I had that version instead...Mine must be an alternative cover...


"♪ALT 'ERN A 'IIIIVE!!!! ♪"

 Sorry. I couldn't resist. Alright, "Troops of Tomorrow." The second album by Scotland's own The Exploit 'ed!  Is it just the 1990 Grand Slamm reissue I have, or does this record sound odd? Loud, grey, distant, echo-y and ringing. Tinny yet murky. It's pretty bold. (Update: Listened to the 2001 reissue somebody posted to youtube and it sounds like a completely different album. still kinda grey and ringy, but muuuuuch much clearer, which either leads me to believe they did an incredible job with the remaster or the Grand Slamm pressing was just shit).

This album is actually really awesome. I don't quite have the nostalgic connection to it that I have with "Punks Not Dead" but to me, this is probably the better album. There was a bit of unintentional comedy on the first album, but I don't laugh much here. The band sounds much leaner, meaner and more serious than before. Stuff like "UK 82" and "So Tragic" rip right out of your speakers and leave a trail of dust across the horizon. Even their Vibrators cover (a group I consider to be a fun timey band) is no joke. They sound pissed and it's a great sound for them. The only time they get clunky and cliche is "Sid Vicious Was Innocent" which is still kinda cute and endearing in the same way a lot of "Punks Not Dead was.


My copy ends with the song "Class War," which wasn't on the original pressing. I don't know where it originates. Presumably from one of their billions of singles/EP's they put out. Cool song either way. Pretty much what you'd expect. A verse, a shouted slogan for a chorus. Repeat.

Overall, this album doesn't have the dopey fun feel of the first album, but it's much cooler in a head-banging, fist pumping way. Speedier (except for the title track and "War") and more serious, it comes very close to becoming straight-up 80's hardcore at times. Depending on what pressing you buy, it might sound weird, though.

Here's "Disorder" by The Exploited! CHAOS!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment