Sunday, October 16, 2016

Roky Erickson : Live At Oyafestivalen, Oslo, Norway, August 10th, 2007


















Roky Erickson : Live At Oyafestivalen, Oslo, Norway, August 10th, 2007

2007

Bootleg

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. Cold Night For Alligators  2. White Faces  3. Don't Shake Me Lucifer  4. The Interpreter  5. Bloody Hammer  6. Before You Accuse Me  7.Two Headed Dog  8. Night Of The Vampire  9. The Wind And More





I wonder what Oyafestivalen is. I bet it's a sweet festival where you get to eat  a lot of oysters and listen to bands play. Yes, I'm certain that's what it is and no one else can tell me otherwise... 


 I'm sure I've discussed my love of bootlegs before. There's just something about blank white labels, incorrect track listings and weak glue that excites me. Sometimes they sound like raw shit, but sometimes you stumble upon something so great you wonder why it was never released. This would be one of those examples. 


I bought this at Double Nickels Collective/Eastside Records for about 10 bucks. Wasn't expecting much. Maybe something along the lines of the more poorly recorded stuff on "Halloween," done by an older, more out of breath Roky...But when I got this thing home and tossed it on the turntable I was immediately blown away at how professional it sounded. This must have been recorded for the radio or television, cos the sound quality is better than anything on "Halloween." No distant mics or muddy/missing instruments.

\
  I'm not sure who his backing band is here, but they're top notch. Delivering old favorites  like "Cold Night for Alligators" and "The Wind & More" with utmost rocking professionalism. Roky sounds great too. I had to momentarily adjust to his older voice, he's a bit gruffer and some of the high keening quality is gone, but you quickly adjust. He really does do an excellent job knocking out these songs. And it's super fun to hear him go waaaaayyy back to his 60's repertoire for "Before You Accuse Me," which is delivered in a more straightforward, bluesy manner than his wonked-out  Thirteenth Floor Elevators performances. 

This gets a very high recommendation from me. One of the better bootlegs I've found and it seems to be pretty common, so if you run across it and you're a big Roky fan, go for it...Makes a great companion to "Halloween"...

Here's "Cold Night for Alligators"...Enjoy...



No comments:

Post a Comment