Saturday, September 5, 2015

The Dictators: Bloodbrothers

Bloodbrothers (album).jpeg

The Dictators: Bloodbrothers

1978

Elektra/Asylum Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. Faster and Louder  2. Baby, Let's Twist  3. No Tomorrow  4. The Minnesota Strip  5. Stay with Me  6. I Stand Tall  7. Borneo Jimmy  8. What It Is  9. Slow Death




Yes! Faster and louder! That's all I ask for....Do I put this album on the same level as the widely acknowledged, untouchable classic "Go Girl Crazy"? Yes, I do. Why? Cos it rocks so much!!!  Sure, it doesn't have the conceptual genius of that album but concept shmoncept,  this rocks so much!!

They promote Handsome Dick Manitoba  to the role of  lead singer and pen some ultra-catchy, fun n' dirty hard rock. Think of arena rock, but the arena is in the worst neighborhood imaginable...Is it humanly possible to write a song catchier than "Stay With Me" or "Baby, Let's Twist"? I dunno..As far as I know, the answer is no...Candy coated brass knuckles is the best I can describe it...


And the whole thing is that good...The only misfire is "I Stand Tall" which has the dumbest patriotic/Broadway chorus I've ever heard...It sounds like an outtake for a damn Rocky soundtrack...Can't you just picture it?


 "I!!  Stand tall!! I!! Stand proud of what-I-am!!"

The sort of song that Survivor themselves would toss out...Too bad cos the lyrics are probably some of the most Dictator-y lyrics on here:

"Lots of pizza, ice cold coke,
Johnny Carson telling jokes,
And lots and lots of American g-g-g-girls..."

But whoo God! The rest of it rules...It rules so much that Danzig's ripped off "The Minnesota Strip" riff about a gazillion times...And I agree with his thieving ways cos it's such a great riff! I should give a shout out to Ross the Boss, btw...He's fucking great here, always huge and crunchy and his guitar solos are sleek and fluid...


Forgive his later, sword-swinging ways...He's so good on"Bloodbreathers"...Actually I shouldn't bust on Manowar...They were also great in their own homoerotic way...Manowar has provided me hours and hours of pure enjoyment over the years...


I personally think "Hail and Kill" should be the National Anthem...Into the rubbish bin ye go ol' Star Spangled Banner...Let's hold our hammers high! May your swords be wet like a young girl in her
prime!

Alright, I got off topic...What was I talking about? Oh yea!  "Bloodbrothers"...Buy it...

"But, but, amazon.com says it's out of stock!!"


Buy it!

"But, but, the CD costs $20.00!"



I don't wanna hear no more excuses from you! BUY IT!!! Or listen to it for free on youtube...Whatever...Just make sure you hear it...

Here's "Stay With Me" by the Dictators...Enjoy...



No comments:

Post a Comment