Friday, October 3, 2014

Dinosaur Jr: Without a Sound



Dinosaur Jr: Without a Sound

1994

Sire Records

Format I Own it on: Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1. Feel the Pain  2. I Don't Think So  3. Yeah Right  4. Outta Hand  5. Grab It  6. Even You  7. Mind Glow  8. Get Out of This  9. On the Brink  10. Seemed Like the Thing to Do  11. Over Your Shoulder



The Great Dinosaurs of the Crustaceous Period:



The Please-and-Thank-You-o-Saurus

This polite sea-faring beast lived during the early period of Jurassic Park.  Growing up to 55-feet in length, the Plesiosaurus is one of the few dinosaurs that still exists to this day, although the species is close to extinction. There is currently one known Plesiosaur that lives in Loch Ness, in the Scottish Highlands.


Dinosaurus Rex

The phrase "Dinosaurus Rex" combines the Latin phrase Rex (meaning "King") and Dinosaurus (meaning "Dinosaur"), to denote that this creature was indeed king of the Dinosaurs... In recent years, scientists have discovered that the Tyrannosaur was not quite the fearsome, murderous predator its reputation suggested...The Tyrannosaur was in fact, nothin' but a bum!! Y'hear me? A BUM!!


Babysaurus Rex

Babysaurus Rex was the fiercest of the man-eating reptiles. A young  Babysaur is known to eat up to five times its own weight in human flesh...What a ghoul this nightmarish hell-beast was...


Brontosaurus

Known for its delicious burger-like meat, the once mighty Brontosaur was driven extinct by the voracious appetite of the primitive Cro-Magnon bowler Fred Flintstone....





Dinosaur Jr

Godzilla's son....

There, that should earn some poor kid a solid "F" on their  school report on Dinosaurs... Haha! That'll teach you to do online research...Next time you should read every damn book in the library to get a shred of information like I used to!! HA HA HA!!!!

Alright...As much fun as it is diddle-dickin' around, I guess I should get around to talking about "Without a Sound" at some point...I like this one...I remember this being pretty popular at the time, but I seem to remember there was a general consensus that this wasn't quite as good as "Where You Been," but that's not too big a deal...This sounds a lot quieter, more comfortable and insular...Songs like "Moon Glow" and "Outta Hand" are some of J's prettiest moments...All this quietude is probably a result of J being the only band member left...Even reliable ol' Murph is nowhere to be found this time around!



And the  album sure starts out strong..."Feel the Pain" shimmers with fragile beauty and the country-rock stomper "I Don' Think So" has one of their catchiest choruses...I'd easily rank those two tracks as two of the band's best...Oh yea...For some reason whenever I hear "Yea Right" I'm always compelled to replace the lyrics with curse words...Here's an example:

"Yea, so I told you some bullshiiiit,
Yeaaaa, I fuckin' lied...."

It's real fun to sing it that way,...I think J should sing my lyrics for it next time he plays this live...I think the audience would be into it...

In the end, this isn't on the top of my list of favorite Dino albums, but it's a very pleasant listen for a relaxing Sunday afternoon or something...Shit, it's time for work...Work is how I get my beer money, so I better get out of here...Have a great Friday Night everybody...Here's "I Don't Think So" by Dinosaur Jr...Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment