Friday, May 9, 2014

Dayglo Abortions: Feed Us a Fetus


File:Feed us a fetus 86.jpg

Dayglo Abortions: Feed Us a Fetus

1986

Unrest/God Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. Stupid Songs  2. Argh Fuck Kill - Die Sinner Die  3.Bedtime Story  4. My Girl  5. Dogfarts  6. Inside My Head  7. Wake Up America  8. Proud to Be a Canadian  9. Stupid World  10. Ronald McRaygun  11. Kill the Hosers  12. Religious Bumfucks  13. 1967  14. I Killed Mommy  15. I'm My Own God  16. Used to Be in Love  17. Suicide  18. The Idiot  19. Germ Attack 20. Scared Of People - Black Sabbath


I can clearly remember my first encounter with this album...It was back in the 90's and I went to Detroit with a few of my friends to see Avail and the Sex Pistols reunion that was going on at the time...


 (If I remember correctly, the opening acts at the Sex Pistols show was some shitty 90's Industrial Rock band like Gravity Kills or something...)

 Anyway, I was riding in the back of a friend of a friend's car and was going through his tapes and spied the "Feed Us a Fetus" cover and it was love at first sight!  What's not to like? A fanged Ronald Reagan about to dig into a fetus on a dinner plate (there's even a recipe in the lyric sheet for fetus chili)...So classic...Anyway, I filed it away in my mind and kept my eyes peeled for a loooong time, until I eventually got a vinyl copy....

Kids, if you're looking to scare your parents and piss off your neighbors, bring home a copy of this and it's still guaranteed to do the trick...Sure, all the Reagan stuff is outdated, but getting it on with the family dog never loses its power! I have a feeling people in the U.S. would have lost their minds if they knew about its existence (unfortunately they were very noticed in their home country (Canada), and caused a shit-storm there...).


(Here's an old video of a newscast outlining the hoopla..Kind of the Canadian version of the whole Tipper Gore/PMRC debacle from back in the day...)

This album still cracks me up...Here are some of my favorite lines:

"When I sing songs, I sing about what I know,
But I don't know too much so I don't sing about nothing,
I get my words from reading TV Guide,
I steal all my solos from the Rolling Stones..."

"Buy American,
Pledge your next car to be American,
Oh what a bunch of shit,
Nazi propaganda,
Thanks to crap like that
I've got a cruse missile in my backyard..."

"I'm Ronald McRaygun
McDeath, McNuclear, McWar,
McCommies, McFear, McMe..."

 One odd thing about the album is that side one was recorded in 1985 and side two was recorded in 1981!!! That's a long time between sides! And what's even more weird is that there's almost no audible difference between the two sides...Apparently the songs from side two originally appeared on the band's debut album "Out of the Womb"...

File:Dayglo Abortions Out of the Womb.jpg

I'm not 100% sure if they're the same versions since I've never heard the "Out of the Womb" album, but the 1981 release date seems to back that theory up...Oh yea, I should probably talk about what the album sounds like...It's reasonably tight and catchy hardcore with some metal overtones...It kind of reminds me of a beer-guzzling, junk TV-watching version of Discharge at times...And in the proud tradition of Darby Crash, the singer goes out of his way to be as obnoxious as possible, but winds up in the "enjoyable" column anyway...I actually have to give Cretin some credit...His vocals are pretty inventive at times...Particularly his delivery on the chorus of "Religious Bumfucks" and his gut-bustingly hilarious series of blah blah blah's on "Argh Fuck Kill"...


Album opener "Stupid Songs" sets the scene perfectly...After a phalanx of thrash guitars, Cretin sings about pulling his wire to the 20-minute workout in a voice that sounds like he couldn't care less, but he's going to shout about it anyway... Also be sure to check out "I Killed Mommy," which is a catchy pop-punk track with some nice whoa-oh-oh harmonies...Imagine early Social Distortion, except instead of singing about their outlaw bad-assness, they sing about their mothers drinking bags of urine...


 Oh yea, that reminds me...Don't forget about Mother's Day this weekend!

 Anyway, this album isn't for the faint-of-heart, but if you've got a healthy (and sick) sense of humor and a thirst for 80's hardcore (and bags of urine), then, by all means,  check it out...

Here's "I Killed Mommy" by the Dayglo Abortions...Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment