Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Beatles: With the Beatles

File:Withthebeatlescover.jpg

The Beatles: With the Beatles

1963

Parlophone Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. It Won't Be Long  2. All I've Got to Do  3. All My Loving  4. Don't Bother Me  5. Little Child  6. Till There Was You  7. Please Mister Postman  8. Roll Over Beethoven  9. Hold Me Tight  10. You Really Got a Hold on Me  11. I  Wanna Be Your Man  12. Devil in Her Heart  13. Not a Second Time  14. Money (That's What I Want)  

I can't really remember where I got this record...I think PDQ in Tucson...Anyway, this is the Beatles second album, and like the debut was released in 1963...It was noticeable for its striking and iconic
cover that's been frequently duplicated...

File:MeetTheResidents1.jpg
 "Meet the Residents" (which I'll get to in about 6 years...)

File:Genesis-Land-of-confusion-single-cover.jpg

"Land of Confusion" by Genesis (which i should get to in maybe 4 years...)

The album follows the same formula as "Please Please Me," Eight originals and six cover songs...The only new wrinkle is George Harrison gets his first songwriting credit with the moody rocker "Don't Bother Me," which is the most George Harrison-y song title ever...

To me, there's not a lot to distinguish this from "Please Please Me," but that makes sense, due to the standard practice of the day of putting out two or three albums a year...Usually recorded as hastily as possible...Mostly live to two-track tape...














The band would be recorded onto one track, vocals on the second, and then bounced down to afford an overdub or two (any more and you were sacrificing some major fidelity). That said, they sound the slightest bit more comfortable here, and side one is almost completely fantastic, mainly due to a selection of cover songs that seems to suit them a bit better...

I could feel my attention start to wane as I waded through side two, probably reaching a low point on "I Wanna Be Your Man," a sub-standard song they generously gave the Rolling Stones to...what...sabotage them?






















They give it to Ringo for his vocal showcase here...What an awful thing to do to poor Ringo!

Still, if you're in the right, rambunctious mood to hear the early Beatles essentially just running through their live set, it does the hit the spot. But honestly, this is probably the Beatles album I play the least...

 Alright...Here's part two of a random episode of "The Beatles Years" radio show form 1998 or somewhere around there, that I found in a box of old cassette tapes...



Gather 'round yon olde fashioned radio and give it a listen...Just click on the video below!




 Alright...If that wasn't enough for you let's have another listen to the greatest band ever...Right Said Fred...


Okay, with that out of the way, let's check out the second greatest band ever..."It Won't Be Long" by the Beatles...



No comments:

Post a Comment