Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Beatles: Various Greatest Hits

Beatles: Various Greatest Hits Albums:

File:Beatles19621966.jpg

1962-1966

1973

Apple Records

Format I Own it On: Compact Disc

Track Listing:

Disc 1: 1. Love Me Do  2. Please Please Me   3. From Me to You  4. She Loves You   5.I Want to Hold Your Hand  6. All My Loving  7. Can't Buy Me Love  8. A Hard Day's Night  9. And I Love Her  10. Eight Days a Week  11. I Feel Fine  12. Ticket to Ride  13. Yesterday

Disc 2:  1. Help!  2. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away  3. We Can Work It Out  4. Day Tripper  5. Drive My Car  6. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)  7. Nowhere Man  8. Michelle  9. In My Life  10. Girl  11. Paperback Writer  12. Eleanor Rigby  13. Yellow Submarine

As you can see, I have a bunch of various Beatles greatest hits albums, and instead of dragging you through them one by one, I'm just going to cover them all in one post...

I love Beatles greatest hits albums! I mean, I must...I have 4 different ones...I started out with  "1962-1966." As I mentioned before I'm not the biggest fan of early Beatles...I liked the originals just fine, but I can only take so many inferior Chuck Berry covers and old show tunes, so when I saw this big bright red cover I thought "A-ha!"

I think before I might have said if you were interested in getting a taste of the early Beatles then "A Hard Day's Night"  was the place to go...I take that back...This is definitely much better...Track after track of some of the best pure pop ever made...Disc 2 is flawless...


File:Beatles19671970.jpg

1967-1970

1973

Apple Records 

Format I Own it On: Vinyl

Track Listing:

Disc 1: 1. Strawberry Fields Forever   2. Penny Lane  3.Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band  4. With a Little Help from My Friends  5. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds  6. A Day in the Life  7. All You Need Is Love  8. I Am the Walrus  9.  Hello, Goodbye  10. The Fool on the Hill  11. Magical Mystery Tour  12. Lady Madonna  13. Hey Jude  14.  Revolution

Disc 2:  1. Back in the U.S.S.R  2. While My Guitar Gently Weeps  3. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da  4. Get Back  5. Don't Let Me Down  6. The Ballad of John and Yoko  7. Old Brown Shoe  8.  Here Comes the Sun  9. Come Together  10. Something  11. Octopus's Garden  12. Let It Be  13. Across the Universe  14. The Long and Winding Road


I later obtained a copy of the "1967-1970" compilation on vinyl. I think I traded my friend JJ a vinyl copy of Slayer's "Diabolus in Musica"  for it...


File:Slayer-DiabolusInMusica.jpg

I think I also got a copy of Bob Dylan's "Greatest Hits Volume 2" and John Lennon's "Imagine" from him...I think pound for pound "1968-1970" is the best album on planet Earth...It showcases the peak period of the greatest band ever...Every single track is an undisputed masterpiece....

Out of all the various Beatles compilations this is an easy favorite...It includes the big hits but doesn't neglect the lesser known material like "Old Brown Shoe" and "The Fool on the Hill" Whoever chose the tracks for this album did a hell of a job...





















Rock N' Roll Music Volume 2:

1980

Capitol Records

Format I Own it On: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. Dizzy Miss Lizzy  2. Anytime At All  3. Drive My Car  4. Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby  5. The Night Before  6. I'm Down  7. Revolution  8. Back in the U.S.S.R  9. Helter Skelter  10. Taxman  11. Got To Get You Into My Life  12. Hey Bulldog  13. Birthday  14. Get Back












"Rock N; Roll Music Volume 2" on the other hand,  seems like they just chose random Beatles songs  out of hat to determine the track listing."I'm Down" sounds like it's from a totally different planet when it sits next to "Revolution." Big hits like "Get Back" are featured as well as inconsequential filler like "Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby." A completely random and fascinating listening experience! 






File:The Beatles 1 album cover.jpg

1

2000

Format I Own it On: Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1.  Love Me Do  2. From Me to You  3. She Loves You  4. I Want to Hold Your Hand"  5. Can't Buy Me Love  6. A Hard Day's Night  7. I Feel Fine  8. Eight Days a Week  9. Ticket to Ride  10. Help!  11. Yesterday  12. Day Tripper  13. We Can Work It Out  14. Paperback Writer  15. Yellow Submarine  16. Eleanor Rigby 17. Penny Lane  18. All You Need Is Love  19. Hello, Goodbye  20. Lady Madonna  21. Hey Jude  22. Get Back  23. The Ballad of John and Yoko  24. Something  25. Come Together  26. Let It Be  27. The Long and Winding Road

This one was a no-brainer, really...It simply compiles all the Beatles biggest hits chronologically onto a single disc...Of course it's great, if a little unadventurous in its song selection...but then again, this isn't meant to surprise anyone...This is for folks who want to buy one album that has both "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "Come Together" on it...

These greatest hits albums mark the end of my Beatles posts...You can sometimes get so lost in the pursuit of new and exciting music that it's easy to neglect some of the classic albums already in your collection...I had so much fun revisiting these old favorites...I love the band so much that not even a viewing of the 1978 "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" film starring Peter Frampton and the Bee-Gee's was enough to shake my faith...(Although  hearing the two robots sing "She's Leaving Home" was so traumatic that I couldn't bear to listen to the Beatles for two whole months)...

File:Sgt peppers lonely hearts club band poster.jpg
So let's play the Beatles one last time...Ladies and Gentlemen..."Hello, Goodbye."




No comments:

Post a Comment