Monday, April 15, 2013

Good Vibrations – Best of The Beach Boys

File:GoodVibesBestOfCover.jpg

Good Vibrations – Best of The Beach Boys

1975

Brother/Reprise Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. Sail On, Sailor  2. Sloop John B  3. God Only Knows  4. Darlin'  5. Add Some Music to Your Day  6. Wouldn't It Be Nice  7. Good Vibrations  8. Do It Again  9. Caroline, No  10. Friends  11. Surf's Up  12. Heroes and Villains

An out-of-print compilation of Beach Boys material that spans from "Pet Sounds" through "Holland," which works for me since that's my favorite era of the band, so I play this one a lot...

I originally bought this years ago at PDQ Records in Tucson...


Which was a pretty cool place...It was huge and had tons of vinyl but it was mostly just classic rock...They had a very small section for punk...but if you were looking for any classic rock album at all you were pretty much guaranteed to find it there... The stuff was either ridiculously pricey or ridiculously reasonable...But a fun place...If you're anything like me, you could blow an entire afternoon there just browsing through it all...They never quite seemed to restock though and eventually the place became super picked over and ended up a graveyard for copies of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours." I'm not sure if it's still around or not, but I have a lot of great memories of the place...

Nothing too surprising here...Pretty close to what I would pick if I had to choose the most representative Beach boys tracks from 1965-1973...This pretty much only exists because of  two other Beach Boys greatest hits albums that came out around the same time that ended up being hugely successful...But those were made up pre-"Pet Sounds" material...

File:EndlessSummerBBCover.jpg

Endless Summer (1974) : which judging from the beardy cover doesn't look anything like it would be made up of songs about cars, surfing and girls...

File:SpiritBBCover.jpg

..and "Spirit of America" (1975) which has an incredible album cover! I wish the "Good Vibrations" album had a cover this cool...It would also be nice if it was a double LP like these other compilations...There's ton of great songs they could have filled a second disc with...I mean this doesn't even have "Forever" or "Wild Honey" or "California Saga." Oh well...No use crying about an almost 40 year old greatest hits compilation...although I've probably cried over less...


(Like the cancellation of ALF for example...)

Anyway, let's check out "Friends" by the Beach Boys...



No comments:

Post a Comment