Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Beachwood Sparks: The Tarnished Gold

File:The Tarnished Gold (Beachwood Sparks album).jpg

Beachwood Sparks: The Tarnished Gold

2012

Sub Pop Records

Track Listing: 1. Forget the Song  2. Sparks Fly Again  3. Mollusk  4. Tarnished Gold  5. Water from the Well  6. Talk About Lonesome  7. Leave That Light On  8. Nature's Light  9. No Queremos Oro  10. Earl Jean  11. Alone Together  12. The Orange Grass Special  13. Goodbye


After the release of 2002's "Make the Cowboy Robot Cry" E.p. (which I've never heard, but man, is that cover cool)...

File:Makerobotscryalbum.jpg

 ...the Beachwood Sparks surprisingly broke up. The band-member's pursued other musical projects for 10 years (Mystic Chords of Memory, the Tyde, All Night Radio, Frausdots) before they announced a reunion and a new album in 2012. The new albuim turned out to be "The Tarnished Gold."

And what does the 2012 version of  Beachwood Sparks sound like? Well...pretty much exactly like the 2001 version...Actually it's almost scary how much this sounds exactly like their previous albums. I was expecting to hear some sort of difference...Perhaps updated production tricks or a guest verse from Lil' Wayne...but really the only thing that could be described as any sort of new twist on their sound would be the mariachi-inspired "No Queremos Oro," which actually doesn't sound as out of place as it should...

But what they sacrifice in surprises they make up for in a warm, comforting consistency. I guess the closest thing I can compare this to is when you haven't talked to an old friend in a looong time and then when you get back together   you find they haven't  changed at all. and the conversation flows right away...

"Sparks Fly Again" captures this feeling perfectly...I know I was just busting on the Beach Boys a few days ago for doing a "We're Back!" song,.. but this one really does work against all odds...A sweet, familiar, kaleidoscopic-country melody that sounds just like you remember...It' so 2001 that you'll swear you're missing an episode of Lizzie McGuire...


No, just kidding...I never miss an episode of Lizzie McGuire...

And really the whole album plays like this...Song after song that  feels like you've heard it before but don't mind hearing one more time...They really add a few cool new tracks to their canon, like the breezy old time country of 'Talk About Lonesome,"  and "Forget the Song" which  sounds like it should be track 16 on "Once We Were Trees."

So yea...I like this one quite a bit and it's good to hear them again...Let's hope they have another one in 'em...The world of cutesy-indie country was an empty place without them....Let's check out "Sparks Fly Again."






2 comments:

  1. I remember you telling me about this band years ago. I always tried to get into them but it's a little to psychedelic/poppy for me. I have to admit the steel guitar on their songs is fantastic! And I tell you what I could listen to "Water From The Well' over and over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, the steel guitar is the man! I'm with you on "Water from the Well."

    ReplyDelete