Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Bauhaus: Burning from the Inside

File:Burningfromtheinside.jpg

Bauhaus: Burning from the Inside

1983

Beggars Banquet Records

Format I Own it on: Compact Disc

Track Listing:  1. She's in Parties  2. Antonin Artaud  3. Wasp  4. King Volcano  5. Who Killed Mr. Moonlight?  6. Slice of Life  7. Honeymoon Croon  8. Kingdom's Coming  9. Burning from the Inside  10. Hope

The fourth and final album by Bauhaus. The bulk of the writing and recording was done while singer Peter Murphy was sick and as a result he doesn't have much input...Some of the vocals are even done by the other band members.  This results in an album that's somewhat spotty but ultimately very enjoyable and against all odds a fitting farewell for the band...

Things start off with a very big bang. "She's in Parties" is an awesome goth-rocker with an excellent and dynamic chorus...Peter Murphy is really on here, as he gives a performance that's alternately shadowy and showy...This song makes me want to put on a cape or something...

There are a lot of cool moments on here, like the intense coda on "Slice of Life" and the awesome organ-driven "Honeymoon Croon," but they also toss in various experiments such as the instrumental "Wasp" and the tribal "King Volcano,"  which work as interesting distractions, if not great songs. The title track also goes on a few minutes too long, but it's nothing too bad, and the standout material is  ultimately strong enough to warrant sitting through a little filler...

And who would have thought that the final song on the final Bauhaus record (well...until the later reunion of course) would be a bright ray of optimism called "Hope." I didn't see it coming...a perfect closer...and this album works as a tribute to the band's adventurous spirit...You see the label goth tossed at this band all the time, but it really doesn't do them justice. Their sound is broader than most other bands and they were constantly trying out new genres and approaches...They were just a rock band who spent a good deal of their time detailing the darker side of life, but also weren't afraid of acknowledging the light...

As I mentioned briefly above the band later reunited and put out the album "Go Away White" in 2008 . I haven't heard any of  it so I can't really comment on it...but if I get a chance to check it out I'll let you know...

This album was originally released in 1983, I was only 7 years old at the time and the big event in my life was the release of  the new Star Wars film "Return of the Jedi." Yesterday we went over some of my favorite "Empire Strikes Back" trading cards and today I scanned in some of my favorite "ROTJ" cards...Here are a few of my favorites...



Here's Greedo's cousin Beedo, who apparently inherited his wardrobe...

This is what I look like without my shirt...


There were so many cool monsters in the Star Wars movies...I seriously spend most of my time just watching the backgrounds...I like these cards that give us a closer look...


Here are some more cool monsters....

...and a benevolent creature...


This looks like a Larry King interview with Obi-Wan Kenobi...


I think the Ewoks are cute...

As I was digging through the shoebox I also found some A-Team cards that are also from '83...These go out to my friend J.J who is currently watching the entire series...which I believe is one of the most  noble and worthwhile endeavors a man can experience in his lfetime...


Here's the wrapper...I unwrapped these around the year 1998...I ate the gum then too, but it wasn't so bad...It was only about 15 years old at the time as opposed to the 30 year old "Empire" gum I discussed yesterday...



Got no time for jibba jabba!


 Amy Allen...


 Here's the sweet A-Team van...

This sticker is so awesome...I'm always tempted to peel it off and stick it on my guitar or keyboard but something always stops me...

Okay, let's put away the shoebox and  check out "She's in Parties" by Bauhaus...




No comments:

Post a Comment