Sunday, November 13, 2016

The Exploited: Totally Exploited


















The Exploited: Totally Exploited

1984

Dojo Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. Punks Not Dead  2. Army Life  3. Fuck A Mod  4. Barmy Army  5. Dogs Of War  6. Dead Cities  7. Sex & Violence  8. Yops  9.Daily News  10. Dole Q  11. I Believe In Anarchy  12. God Save The Queen  13. Psycho  14. Blown To Bits  15. Insanity  16. S.P.G.  17. Jimmy Boyle  18. U.S.A.  19. Attack  20. Rival Leaders





I had no idea what "Totally Exploited" was when I bought it and the packaging isn't a huge help. I thought that it might be a live album but it turns out it's a greatest hits album from 1984. Apparently there's a CD version out there that sports 7 additional tracks, but that's not the version I have. Mine's the vinyl version with only 20 tracks, so that's the version I'm covering...


 This covers the band's career up through their third album ("Let's Start a War") and houses a bunch of the band's excellent non-album singles, like "Dogs of War" and "Dead Cities," which are some of their best tracks. There's quite a bit of overlap between this and "Punks Not Dead," and rightfully so, since that seems to be the defining album for a lot of folks. Amusingly there's a cover blurb by Gary Bushell, praising the band (who was the music journalist being roasted in the band's track "Singalongbushell"). 

I usually bust this out to listen to "Insanity" (a fluttery punk rock wonder) and "Rival Leaders" (one of their most vicious thrashings). I haven't been able to score a copy of the "Let's Start a War" album, so this one usually gives me the fix I need. 


To be honest, I'm getting a bit burned out on talking about the Exploited this week. It's like writing paragraph after paragraph about bread and butter, there's just not a whole lot to it. They usually grind away on rudimentary punk chords while Wattie shouts some direct, simplistic lyrics. It's pretty exciting to listen to, but not real fun to talk about.

So let's be done talking about it... Let's listen to some music. Here's "Rival Leaders" by The Exploited. Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment