Saturday, July 30, 2016

Elliott: US Songs

















Elliott: US Songs

1998

Revelation Records

Format I own it on: Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1. Miracle  2. Intro  3. The Conversation  4. Dionysus Burning  5. The Watermark High  6. Every Train That Passes  7. Suitcase and Atoms  8. Second Story Skyscraper  9. Alchemy as a Rhythm  10. Ten Cent Inquiry  11. Safety Pin Explanation


This is going to be hard for some people to stomach, but there was a time when "Emo" wasn't  a dirty word. This was before sideways haircuts, Senses Fail,  Bleeding Until September, Hurting Until Monday, and Chris Carrblahblah...I swear to you, in the mid-to-late 90's some of the best records coming out would fall into this now-dreaded category. I still kinda feel that (unfortunately) Emo was the last original movement in the US punk scene. It ended up turning the genre into an listenable mess (that still continues to this day) but for a few years it was all very promising. Mainly because of cool albums like Elliott's "US Songs."


Opening the compact disc, I'm overwhelmed by the sheer Emo-ness of the packaging. Remember the ornate, elaborate CD covers? Full of lyrics printed on rice paper, multiple tiny, oddly shaped booklets,  metallic ink, the obligatory white CD tray? This album is a prime example of the "elaborate personalized diary that I secretly want everyone to read" packaging trend.


And the music? Total quintessential emo. The exaggerated instrumental dynamics, boyish vocals, inscrutable lyrics (remember this is early emo before everyone decided to sob their damn guts out), a dash of moog here and there. Oh, and some nice, fat hooks. Strip the little league baseball jersey from any emo-er who doesn't instantly earnestly belt out  "SUIT SELLS THE LIIINE..." when shown this silvery album cover!


 The album's appeal becomes apparent (or blasphemous, depending on how seriously you take shit) on "The Conversation" when you realize this album is an attempt to scale Sunny Day Real Estate (a band who often sounds like they're trying to swallow themselves) to arenas. In a just world, "The Conversation" would be played to a packed crowd, waiving lighters (or cell phones, sorry...Have to manually adjust my old-man timescale) and hoisting their girlfriends on their shoulders (it suddenly strikes me how awesome the adrenaline surge of "The Watermark High" would sound while eating the $20.00 soft pretzel)...


I also have to give a shout-out to "Suitcase and Atoms," which I seriously put up as a contender for best emo songs of all time.  Everything clicks here. The vocals melody snaps right into the guitar which snaps right into the tight drum rolls. It just works works works. And I don't know if it's just that this song is such a high point, or it could be my faulty-attention span or possibly front-loading, but to be honest, I kinda check out on this album after that song...I mean, there's nothing bad, but it seems like up until that point, everything is so on-point...Maybe it's elaborate-diary fatigue...Who knows?


So yea, I'm not ashamed to say it. I'm a 40-year old man who listens to emo! And I don't care if everyone knows it! Revel in my shortcomings! My shame!  (high) Blood (pressure) On The Dance Floor!

Let's listen to some music...Here's "The Miracle" by Elliott. Emo-joy...




2 comments:

  1. This is another great album! I agree with you about the second half of the album up until the last song Safety Pin Explanation. One of my favorites on the album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, you're right. "Safety Pin Explanation" is a cool song...

    ReplyDelete