Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Dave Edmunds: Get It

GetItalbumcover.png

Dave Edmunds: Get It

1977

Swan Song Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listin': 1. Get Out of Denver  2. I Knew the Bride  3. Back To School Days  4. Here Comes the Weekend  5. Worn Out Suits, Brand New Pockets  6. Where or When  7. Ju Ju Man  8. Git It  9. Let's Talk About Us  10. Hey Good Lookin'  11. What Did I Do Last Night?  12. Little Darlin'  13.My Baby Left Me


Yes! "Get It"marks the beginning of one of my favorite run of album's ever...Dave picks up a band, rather than recording every instrument himself, which shoots the energy through the roof (although the spike in energy is also possibly attributable to the new genre of punk that emerged in the wake of "Subtle As a Flying Mallet"). And the band he assembles (Rockpile (minus a member at this point))  features fucking brilliant songwriter Nick Lowe who also has a knack of improving everything he touches...And to top off this transformation, the Phil Spector recreations are (mostly) shelved in favor of high-speed  R n' R, Everly Brothers harmonies and a splash of country here and there...


 (Oh man...I've always been fascinated by the Swan Song label graphics...On one hand, the lack of genitalia is disturbing, but on the other hand I'm thankful the angel isn't jutting  his junk right in my face...And the wings originate from an odd place on his back...Sort like a tramp stamp becoming a real set of wings...


 Also, is the angel supposed to be Robert Plant? I think it might be...)

This is where you find  those fast and tight classics, "JuJu Man," "I Knew the Bride," and an incredibly ass-kicking  cover of Bob Seger's "Get Out of Denver" where he just revs the engine until the wheels nearly fall off (You have to use an automobile metaphor when you're discussing Bob Seger right?)


(Ooo...Look at those big wheels bounce...)

(I know this is blasphemous talk for a Michigander, but I don't usually care for Bob Seger...It seems like he doesn't rock as much as he should...Although whenever anyone covers Bob Seger, I usually love it (see also Thin Lizzy's "Rosalie" (do NOT see Metallica's "Turn the Page" (ah, man...I hate the song "Turn the Page," forget my mixed feelings on Bob Seger...The memory of that irritating sax squonk in "Turn the Page" makes me hate every possible aspect of Bob Seger...)))


I don't think "Get It" is quite as great as what would follow  ("Hey Good Lookin'" is still a little too familiar, even in this rockabillied-up version, and "Back To School Days" is nowhere near the league of Dave's second Graham Parker interpretation, "Crawling From the Wreckage") but it's pretty close...And "Here Comes the Weekend" is one of the best Friday Night songs ever written...Not to mention everything here clocks in at right around the 2-minute mark, so if a song's not doing it for you, it'll pass soon enough..I still give it a hearty recommendation if you're looking for straight-up rock n' roll...

Here's "Here Comes the Weekend" by Dave Edmunds...Enjoy...

Here's 

1 comment: