Thursday, August 20, 2015

Dicks: Peace? 7-inch


















Dicks: Peace?

1984

Alternative Tentacles Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. No Fuckin' War  2. Nobody Asked Me  3. I Hope You Get Drafted


This 7-inch came with my copy of  1985's "These People" but since this predates that album, I think I'll cover this separately...I think it's deserving of its own post cos' it's a truly fuckin' great 7-inch. Much more straightforward and serious than their previous stuff...Forget that the album is called "Peace?" The whole 7-inch is a rich exploration on the various facets of war..."No Fuckin' War" is a scary good protest song:
"Where will you send us now?
It doesn't matter anyhow,
As soldiers dig a new trench,
Hey thank you Mr. President, 

We don't want no fuckin' war!"
 Real sludgy and discordant, like prime Flipper...Smell the air as this plays...Is that the pungent stench of burning flesh? Mmmm mmm!



 Side two kicks off with "Nobody Asked Me," which is more the hardcore sound you'd expect from these guys, but it's angrier, scarier and faster than before...

Things close with the brutal "I Hope You Get Drafted" that takes aim at those on the sidelines...Watching as kids are shipped off to war without so much a word of protest...Shrugging and saying, "Better you than me..." Damn, this is harsh though...


I can't say this album is a lot of fun to listen to, but it sure is harrowing...And I think I mean that in a good way...Even though it's only 8 minutes or so, I like this more than "Kill From the Heart"...Long Live Dicks...
Here's "I Hope You Get Drafted"...Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment