Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Clash: This is Radio Clash 12" single/Rock the Casbah 7" single
















The Clash: This is Radio Clash 12" single


1981

Epic Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. This Is Radio Clash  2. Radio Clash  3. Outside Broadcast  4. Radio Five


 "This is Radio Clash" was a standalone snigle that never appeared on any of the band's studio albums, although either "This is Radio Clash" or "Radio Clash" will often appear on compilations... "This is Radio Clash" and "Radio Clash" are essentially the same song but with a different lyrics and slightly remixed sound...I'm sure I probably discussed the song before, but if not, "Radio Clash" is a close relative to "Magnificent Seven" or "Lightning Strikes." Another attempt at the burgeoning rap-scene of the (very) early 80's...

I actually like "Radio Clash" better than "Magnificent Seven" because they've further integrated the hip-hop sound into their own, coming up with a very distinct electro-punk hybrid...It's weird to me that nobody has ever duplicated the "Radio Clash" sound...I mean, the Clash has to have been one of the first rock bands to tackle rock, yet no one seems to have been influenced by it...Subsequent rap-rock came from such a different place...I mean, it's possible that some punk somewhere was influenced by the Clash's hip-hop efforts that they did their own take on the genre but if they did, then the end result is much different (or I just haven't run across it)...In a way, it reminds me of how unique the later Clash stuff is...Have you ever heard a song that picks up where "Rock the Casbah" left off? I mean, that was a major hit and no one has emulated the sound...It ultimately makes them more timeless, like the songs are from a future that has yet to come to fruition...


Now, I would have bought this single no matter what, just to have "Radio Clash" and "This is Radio Clash" in one place, but the main reason I picked this up was because there were two songs listed on side two that I had never heard of..."Outside Broadcast"?!?!  "Radio Five"?!?!?!?!!!!  I knew in my heart of hearts that these were going to be remix/dub versions but a part of me still dared to hope these really were two original Clash compositions that I've never heard...

Nah, no such luck. Remixes. They are slightly interesting..."Outside Broadcast" is just "Radio Clash" with more horn-honking, soul backing vocals and Joe Strummer sporadically rapping in a fake deep voice..."Radio Five" on the other hand, is some deep, side-four-of-"Sandanista!" shit...Endless chasms of echo, record scratching and what seems to be the song being played forwards and backwards simultaneously...I imagine this would be one of those instances where something is more fun to record than to listen to, but if you're interested in pure sonics you might like it...

Anywho, here's "This Is Radio Clash"...Enjoy this bad boy...




















 The Clash: Rock the Casbah 7" Picture Disc

1982

Epic Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl (Duhhh...ALL CD's are essentially picture discs...)

Track Listing: 1. Rock the Casbah  2. Long Time Jerk


I used to have the standard black vinyl version of this back in the day, which was how I discovered the wonderful "Long Time Jerk"...I still marvel at the fact that pop-fans buying a Top Ten hit single would be subjected to the indescribable "Long Time Jerk" as the B-Side...What is it? Electro-Rockabilly sci-fi drone? But then again, what is "Rock the Casbah?" Middle  Eastern Dance Punk? That's what was so great about the Clash at this point...They did whatever they wanted and by following their own indiscriminate muse, they landed squarely into uncharted territory but made it sound so natural that you hardly even notice how weird it really is...

Anyway, I was at the record store and they were selling the picture disc for $2.99. Since it's one of my favorite singles, I went for it...I've come to the conclusion that "Rock the Casbah" is the best of the Clash's three U.S. hits...I used to like "Should I Stay or Should I Go" better but after 10 million plays it kind of goes in one ear and out the other...I somewhat feel the same way about "Train in Vain" but I find that live versions of that song still catch my ear...However, "Rock the Casbah" has retained 100%  of its magic for me...So I'm calling it the Clash's greatest hit...

Here's "Long Time Jerk"...Enjoy...



No comments:

Post a Comment