Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Captain Sensible:Happy Talk





Captain Sensible: Happy Talk

1982

Universal Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. Happy Talk  2. It 3. I Can't Stand It (Demo)


I've actually had this single for a very long time...It was just mis-alphabetized so I haven't written about it until now... But pound for pound, this is one of the most out-and-out entertaining singles you can buy...

I bought this waaaaayyyy back in the 90's as a devout fan of Captain Sensible's work in the Damned. I knew something was up as soon as I saw the cover of the Captain on  a beach with a trio of hula girls...Not to mention the title track credited to Rogers & Hammerswine (talk about ungrateful)....


And sure enough, "Happy Talk" is a full-on show-tune. With schmaltzy orchestration, hammy crooning and syrupy sentimentality...We can only guess what  Sensible's motivation was for releasing a Broadway tune as his first single, but it is truly awesome in a head-scratching way...

The B-Side is even better! It starts out with a sarcastic keyboard demonstration ("It")  before segueing into a ripping drum-machine driven pop-punk track...You can easily imagine a fleshed-out version of "I Can't Stand It" being a highlight of an early 80's Damned LP...


Again, I have to marvel at how much  fun he manages to pack into 9 minutes.. What a great use of the 7-inch format.  Even as someone with a serious aversion to show-tunes, I recommend this whole-heartedly to anyone with a healthy sense of humor. 

Here's "I Can't Stand It"...Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment