Monday, January 12, 2015

Adam & the Ants: Stand & Deliver/Prince Charming


















Adam & the Ants: Stand & Deliver

1980

CBS Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1.  Stand & Deliver  2. Beat My Guest



















 Adam & the Ants: Prince Charming

1981

CBS Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. Prince Charming  2. Christian D'Or


Woah! I think I get to air a re-run today since I already covered most of the songs in previous blogs!  Huh? No re-runs? Alright...

I already owned three of the four songs contained on these two singles..."So why did I buy them again," you ask? Cos' they have beautiful sleeve photos that were in immaculate condition and I found them for a buck apiece at Eastside...


I'm still kind of puzzled as to why Adam Ant is such a divisive figure in pop history...His early shit can't be topped. I still don't fully understand how he arrived at his signature sound...I can hear some American Indian whooping and drumming, definitely some punk and post-punk, lots of glam and glitter rock, a bit of yodeling...To this day, there was never really anyone else like him...And if there was one song that sums up everything that was great and unique about him, it's got to be "Stand & Deliver"...No need to go praise it up and down all over again, since I'm sure you can dig through the old posts for that...The B-Side is the classic "Beat My Guest," which is a must if you're at all curious about the sub-genre "yodel punk"...

I was especially stoked to find the "Prince Charming" single...Aside from the A-Side (which is possibly my personal favorite Adam Ant song) we also get a non-album B-Side that I hadn't heard before... With all the filler on the "Prince Charming" album, I wasn't expecting much from an outtake from that album, but "Christian D'Or" is fan-flippin'-tasic...Funny, flashy pop rock with Adam giving a run down of his various fetishes using a buncha funny vocal deliveries...My favorite section?

"Big man,
Big shoes,
No style.
Damp squibs,
Retard..."
 How can you not love a song with the phrase "damp squib" in it? I believe this song also appeared on some B-Sides compilation that came out in the 90's...I should probably look for that sometime since I've been listening to so much old school Adam Ant lately...
 
Alright, let's cut this short today and listen to some Adam Ant...Here's "Christian D'Or"...Dig it...




No comments:

Post a Comment