Friday, November 21, 2014

D.R.I: Dirty Rotten CD



D.R.I: Dirty Rotten CD

1983

Dirty Rotten Records

Format I Own it on: CD (duh...)

Track Listing: 1. I Don't Need Society  2. Commuter Man  3. Plastique  4. Why  5. Balance Of Terror  6. My Fate To Hate  7. Who Am I  8. Money Stinks  9. Human Waste  10. Yes Ma'am  11. Dennis's Problem  12. Closet Punk  13. Reaganomics  14. Sad To Be  15. War Crimes  16. Busted  17. Draft Me  18. F.D.R.C.  19. Capitalists Suck  20. Misery Loves Company  21. No Sense  22. Blockhead  23. Rather Be Sleeping (VATS Demo)  24. No People (VATS Demo)  25. Snap (Comp)  26. Explorer (Comp)  27. Running Around  28. Couch Slouch  29.To Open Closed Doors  30. Violent Pacification  31. Radio Interview #1 Part 1  32. We Are US (Demo)  33. I Don't Need Society  34. Radio Interview #1 Part 2  35. Blockhead (Demo)  36. Radio Interview #1 Part 3  37. Radio Interview #2 Part 1  38. Commuter Man (Demo)  39. Radio Interview #2 Part 2  40. Yes Ma'am (Live)  41. Nursing Home Blues (Live)  42. Money Stinks (Live)  43. Louie Louie (Live)  44. Radio Interview #2 Part 3



Here are a couple more D.B & Slice cartoons Tony Jansen and I did in Jr. High/High School...







Alright...Enough cartoons...Let's get to today's records...

I first listened to the Dirty Rotten Imbeciles in Jr High, probably right around the same time I did those D.B & Slice cartoons pictured above...My friend Brett made me a mixed tape that had all kinds of intense shit on it...Iron Maiden, Carcass, Kreator...But I'll never forget, my favorite song on that tape was "Beneath the Wheel" by DRI...I had actually heard about the band previously through ads in Thrasher and RIP Magazine...


 There always seemed to be an ad in those magazines from some band called the Dirty Rotten Imbeciles and they were always selling records, shirts and books...



Yes, books! I found that endlessly fascinating...Anyway, I listened to DRI for years and knew them only as a Crossover-thrash, skate-metal band...But one day I decided to check out some of their earlier stuff and it just about blew my damn head off... I fell in love all over again...

\

This skews much closer to straight up hardcore than the heavy metal of their later albums and boy, is this shit  fast...Sure, there's a lyric sheet, but good luck following along...Even as someone who routinely listens to hardcore, this took a few listens to wrap my brain around...I was mostly into it for the adrenalin rush, but eventually melodies (if that's the right word) started emerging from the blur and suddenly I was walking around the house humming "Reagonomics"...


 Usually I try to pick out a few highlights but that's pointless endeavor here...Every song is about one minute long and consists of the same blasting hardcore beats, buzzing guitars and shouted vocals that sound like some skater dude hectoring you about the ills of society...If that's your thing, it's all great...



 If your tastes lean more towards Barry Manilow then you probably won't be able to make heads or tails of what's going on...


The Original Dirty Rotten LP only consisted of 22 songs and ran about 17 minutes...The CD version I have doubles the track listing, addding in an entertaining radio appearance (where the band's name varied slightly), demos, live tracks and best of all, the "Violent Pacification" EP, where the band adds a bit more sludgy metal into their sound...


Great stuff if you value speed in your music...Just be prepared that it might take a half-dozen listens before it sinks in...

Let's get this Friday started right...Here's "Violent Pacification" by DRI...Enjoy....


No comments:

Post a Comment