Thursday, November 27, 2014

DRI: Dealing With It!


















DRI: Dealing With It!

1985

Metal Blade Records

Format I Own it on: Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1. Snap  2. I'd Rather Be Sleeping  3. Marriage  4.  Yes Ma'am  5. Soup Kitchen  6. Mad Man  7. Stupid, Stupid War  8. Counter Attack  9. Couch Slouch  10. God Is Broke  11. Karma  12. Nursing Home Blues  13. I Don't Need Society  14. Give My Taxes Back   15. The Explorer  16. Reagonomics  17. How to Act  18. Shame  19. Argument Then War  20. Evil Minds  21. Slit My Wrist  22. Busted Again  23. Equal People  24. On My Way Home  25. Bail Out  26. Couch Slouch  27. Running Around  28. Snap (Demo)  29. Stupid. Stupid War (Demo)  30. Mad Man (Rough Mix)  31. Sad to Be (Rough Mix)  32. How to Act (Rough Mix)  33. I'd Rather Be Sleeping (Rough Mix)   34. I Don't Need Society (Rough Mix)  35. Nursing Home Blues (Rough Mix)  36. Reagonomics (Rough Mix)  37. The Explorer (Rough Mix)








Alright, the 10,000 pound turkey I accidentally bought is in the oven...Now it's time to sit down for a moment with a nice cup of coffee and the biggest slab of pumpkin pie you've ever seen and talk about some DRI....



Note: My cup of coffee looks nothing like the one pictured in the photo above...


I usually drink coffee from a red Solo cup...Cos I hate doing the dishes, so I decided to single-handedly destroy the environment with plastic silverware, paper plates and red Solo cups...

And really, what's a better way to spend the Holiday than destroying the world and blasting some Dirty Rotten Imbeciles..."Dealing With It!" is the band's second album and initially I liked it more than the debut, but nowadays I'm not so sure it tops the first one...It is a bit more accessible, due to the addition of big, slow mosh parts to a bunch of the songs...Yes, I think that's the best way to describe this album...Think of the "Dirty Rotten LP/CD" but with a bunch of slow, heavy breakdowns added in the middle of every song, which helps songs like "I'd Rather Be Sleeping" actually stick in your head after a single listen...


 The fast parts are still among the fastest things I've ever heard...Every once in awhile someone will show me a death metal band or something where the blast beats are more sustained, giving the drums the illusion of a faster speed, but it almost always seems so slow to me, because metal vocalists sing everything so slow...Listen to Kurt Brecht's vocals...There's a syllable for every beat...Fast as hell...

I also have zero idea how the drummer does it...Man alive, I get tired just listening to it... Yesterday at work I was feeling kinda hardcore-ish (at work I usually tend to listen to punk, hardcore or heavy metal to keep me awake...Unless I got a shit-ton of sleep or I have some serious Friday adrenalin, listening to slow stuff at work puts me in serious danger of falling asleep at my desk...)...Anyway, I listened to "Dealing With It" back to back with Black Flag's "Damaged" and the Black Flag album seemed so slow and straight-forward next to it...Like it was some poppy, hard rock record...So that might give you some indication as to what you're getting into if you're planning on checking our DRI...

The real highlight of this album is the recorded exchange with the band's old, pissed-off landlord at the beginning of "Mad Man"..."The Party's over...Don't you dummies understand anything?" Anybody who's ever been in a band has had this conversation a few times...Check this out for a good laugh...



The CD version I have adds a bunch of very demo-y demos and very rough rough mixes...Not as great as the bonus' on the "Dirty Rotten CD"...

Damn, it's time to baste the turkey...Let's listen to another DRI track...Here's "I'd Rather Be Sleeping"...Happy Thanksgiving everyone (For more Thanksgiving fun, you can check out last year's Thanksgiving post here: http://fridaynightrecordparty.blogspot.com/2013_11_01_archive.html ...


No comments:

Post a Comment