Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Desmond Dekker: Israelites/This is Crucial Reggae


















Desmond Dekker: Israelites/My Precious World (The Man)

1969

Uni Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. Israelites/My Precious World (The Man)



Oooo, I love that pretty Uni Records label...

I found this single a few years back at Zia records in Tempe...I was surprised to read this was the first ska song to crack the US top ten charts, since it seems to have been forgotten by everybody here except for us die-hard ska/reggae fans....But this thing totally deserved any success it received, since it's easily one of the all-time best ska songs ever...

A closer listen to the lyrics reveals a downcast tone, but the performance is so radiant and life-affirming that it seems inconceivable to be in a bad mood while this is playing...I never fail to get caught up in Desmond's high, honeyed vocals and the bouncy rhythms...And who can resist singing those deep bass harmonies?


 The B-Side (My Precious World (The Man))  is much different, with an American Soul sound, but it's a lovely track too...There's just no way it can stand up to that flawless A-Side though (which I guess is why it's the B-Side, duh)....
 
Anyway, here's "Israelites" by Desmond Dekker...Enjoy...



















Desmond Dekker: This is Crucial Reggae

2007

Sanctuary Records

Format I Own it on: Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1. Israelites  2. You Can Get It If You Really Want It  3. 077 (Shanty Town)  4. It Mek  5. Sing A Little Song  6. Intesified '68 (Music Like Dirt)  7. Licking Stick  8. Honour Your Mother And Father  9. Fu Manchu  10. Unity  11. Pickney Gal  12. Jamaica Ska


I love these "This is Crucial Reggae" compilations...The running times are usually a bit skimpy and they tend to stick to a very specific portion of the artist's career, but the song selection is always fantastic and they're usually dirt cheap to boot...I can't recall ever paying more than 3 bucks for one...


 And if you want to know why Desmond Dekker is considered the King of Ska, this gives you 12 good reasons why...Desmond had an interesting style; a mix of slice-of life rudeboy ghetto stories mixed with a healthy dose of morality...He discusses street violence one moment  ("077 (Shanty Town) ") and then reminds you to always value your parents ("Honour Your Mother And Father") and the value of setting aside differences ("Unity") the next...And it's all done in such a buoyant manner that you can't help but skank along...The only touch of musical darkness is maybe the slightly ominous "Fu Manchu."   


 No use pointing out highlights on a "Best Of" set...It's all perfect...The only weak point comes when the track listing suddenly jumps ahead 20 years for Desmond's collaboration with the Specials on a remake of Byron Lee's "Jamaican Ska." And while I love their take, the production values are so radically different that it does come across as a bit jarring...Even though it was recorded in the 90's there's something so very late 80's about it...Like it'd fit in perfect on the soundtrack to some summery 80's movie...


(no not this one...)

I definitely wish I could find some more Desmond Dekker releases, but I usually just run across greatest hits packages that share about 3/4ths of "This is Crucial Reggae"'s track listing,...But I'm keeping my eyes peeled...

In the meantime, here's "Honour Your Mother and Father" by Desmond Dekker...Enjoy...



No comments:

Post a Comment