Friday, August 30, 2013

The Business: The Truth the Whole Truth and Nothing But the Truth



















The Business: The Truth The Whole Truth and Nothing But The Truth

1997

Taang! Records

Format I Own it on: Compact Disc

 Track Listing:  1. Blood Ties 2. Spirit Of The Street  3. The Truth The Whole Truth And Nothing But The Truth  4. One Common Voice  5.  What's The Story  6. Justice Not Politics  7. One Thing Left To Say  8.  Death To Dance (Album Version)  9. No Time 4 U  10.  SE12  11.  Crime Of The Century  12. Informer  13. Southgate (Euro 96)  14.  Hardcore Hooligan   


If you're looking for H's you're not gonna find them here...The Business are 'ardcore 'ooligans! 




"Oi! Let's throw empty bottles of Carling at Totten'am 'otspur!!"



"Carling Zest! Sod off ya bleedin' nancy!!"

Alright, enough of that...I first heard these guys back in the 90's...Mainly ordering stuff from the Taang! Catalog, which was one of my biggest hobbies back then...I can still remember getting all psyched about receiving the "Death to Dance" 7' in the mail...



My friend Cory bought "The Truth, the Whole Truth and Nothing but the Truth" on vinyl and I borrowed his copy so much that I essentially just owned it...I recall taping it off and riding around in Joe's truck listening to "What's the Story" over and over...That choppy guitar intro ruled our worlds so much...





This record was a big deal in my little world at the time because it was produced by Rancid's Lars Frederiksen, who also produced "The Streets of San Francisco" by the Swingin' Utters, so in my eyes he could do no wrong...



Some of Lars' Rancid-ness does rub off on the Business actually...They sound a little burlier than before...the guitars beefier and some of the songs have a slightly hardcore feel...Which works for me, but then again I have a huge soft spot on my head...

Gritty, street-level punk with football-sized chants...Perfectly suited for tracks like "Hardcore Hooligan" and"Southgate (Euro 96)." The latter is probably the best song on here...The Business is always at their best on their football songs...Hell, tomorrow we cover an album that's nothing but football songs...Even so, this one hits all the right marks...

Now, everything I know about football comes from Business songs, so generally speaking I pretty much have no clue what in the hell they're talking about most of the time...Apparently this Gareth Southgate missed a fuckin' penn-ul-ee....



Which probably really sucks if you're a fan of his team, but I can't help but be happy about it, cos we get this kick-ass song out of it...


 See, look at all that silver lining...

Speaking of silver lining, we've all made it through another week of work and Friday is finally here...Well, it's always Friday at the Friday Night Record Party, but today is different...It's actually Friday...


So let's grab a 6'er of "Newcastle" (we can't get Carling here in Arizona...Not even Carling Zest for chrissakes...) Oh yea, last weekend I tried the Newcastle "Blonde Bombshell" for the first time...I pretty much bought it cos I liked the label...

Such a beautiful baby blue label...And I think the beer might have been good too..I don't really remember drinking it...I can remember pounding a few Cheladas though....


For the longest time I avoided Cheladas like the plague...Clam juice and beer?!?! But then one day my friend Andy bought me one and now they're my favorite thing on Planet Earth...So metal-y and salty...In a perfect world, I could drink these things for breakfast lunch and dinner, but unfortunately the world is only perfect on Friday night, so let's all get together and check out "Informer" by Snow...


Okay, now let's check out "Informer" by the Business...Enjoy...




No comments:

Post a Comment