Friday, August 23, 2013

The Buggles: Adventures in Modern Recording

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/31/AdventuresInModernRecording.jpg

The Buggles: Adventures in Modern Recording

1981

Carrere Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. Adventures in Modern Recording  2. Beatnik  3. Vermillion Sands  4. I Am a Camera  5. On TV  6. Inner City  7. Lenny  8. Rainbow Warrior  9. Adventures in Modern Recording (reprise)


The front cover is cool and all, but this is all about the back cover...Flip this thing over and BOOM!


 BAD-ASS TRAPPER KEEPER ARTWORK!!

Here are some other cool Trapper Keepers...











Think about everything that was great about "The Age of Plastic." The  catchy songs, the exciting production, the cool space-age concept...and then take all that away and you have "Adventures in Modern Recording."  Not that the album is bad or anything...I enjoy it alright, but listening to this directly after "The Age of Plastic" might make your head explode...However, if you listen to Yes' "Drama" first then you should be able to ease right into this...On the other  hand, listening to "Drama" directly after "The Age of Plastic" would also probably make your head explode, so...either way...

File:Yes Drama.jpg

But yea, this a good companion to "Drama." Sort of a slick, adult prog-pop and it even shares a song with that album...They even do a more chilled-out version of "Into the Lens" which is titled "I am a Camera"...

File:I Am A Camera Single Cover.jpg

I want to fully enjoy this song, but goddammit, Mr. Show ruined it for me...Whenever I hear Trevor Horn sing "I AM A CAMERA..." I can't help but sing...


"A CAMERA AM IIIIIII......"  It's impossible not to...It's sung in the exact same melody and everything...Oh well...

The album starts out incredibly strong with the bombastic title track, which does its best to ease us into this new sound...Very much in line with their first album, but ditches all the sci-fi elements and drops us into the here and now...Some real drums might have helped the album somewhat (the entire thing is done with drum machines, as far as I can tell...) but you get used it...It's fun, glossy and catchy and a good way to kick things off...Love it!

Once that song's done you're greeted to the acapella lines: "All will be revealed before the next move..."  And holy cow, it couldn't be more Yes-like...Eventually "Beatnik" reveals itself to be jivey, funky synthpop, but man...Am I alone in wishing that Yes would have continued in the "Drama" line-up a couple more albums instead of the "90125" route?  

File:The Buggles Beatnik 1982 Single Cover.jpg

There's definitely some cool songs here..."Lenny" is atmospheric and moody but resolves into a beauty of a chorus, "Vermillion Sands" is also a  highlight...very grown-up and spongy...I could probably do without the few minutes of digital foxtrot at the end, but...whatever...The only song I out-and-out don't like at all is "Rainbow Warrior." Drawn out, melodramatic and cheesy..I like the "Time...Is All...Your Measuring..." break though....But in the end, it's such a relief when the reprise of the title track comes in at the end...It does a pretty good job of reminding me why I liked the album in the first place...



Honestly, when I first played this record I didn't especially care for it, but once I got over my expectations (I really really like"Age of Plastic") it's not such a bad little album...I think you'd have to be in head-over-heels in love with 80's production to be into it, honestly, but if drum machines and Fairlights are your thing, then jump right in....




File:Fairlight.JPG

This was the Buggles final record...Hell, Geoff Downes is barely even on it..The duo moved onto other projects...Trevor played with Art of Noise and became a big-time producer, virtually defining the sound of the 80's and Geoff Downes moved onto Asia who had some cool album covers...

 File:Asia - Alpha (1983) front cover.jpg

But the Buggles are where it's at...So let's check out "Adventures in Modern Recording"...Enjoy...



No comments:

Post a Comment