Sunday, May 14, 2017

Guided by Voices: Get Out of My Stations

Gooms7 large.jpg

Guided by Voices: Get Out of My Stations

1994

Siltbreeze Records

Format I Own it on: Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1. Scalding Creek  2. Mobile  3. Melted Pat  4. Queen of Second Guessing  5. Dusty Bushworms  6. Spring Tiger  7. Blue Moon Fruit  8. Motor Away  9. Hot Freaks  10. Weed King  11. Postal Blowfish



I don't know if I'm really reviewing these EP's in order...GBV released 10 million EP's in 1994 on a hundred different labels. I wasn't buying them at the time and they all say 1994 so I don't have any context or personal memories attached...


But yea, another "Bee Thousand" era EP. This time we have 7 songs in 12 minutes. I have the CD reissue that adds 4 live bonus tracks. How do the live bonus tracks sound?. A bit rough but they have their charm. And you don't listen to GBV albums for high- fidelity, audiophile recordings. 


The gentle acoustic strum of "Scalding Creek" isn't an outlier either. This entire EP is a bit more laid back than usual.There are a couple of rockers but it's the more shimmering laid back stuff like "Scalding Creek" that really makes an impression.





I've listened to King Diamond, Venom, Puke Cross, Mortifying Anal Death, Blasphemous Ass Church, etc. etc. etc but only one piece of music has genuinely frightened me. Only once have I jumped and yelled, "Holy Fuck!" And that one time occurred on the opening track of this EP. I was blasting the nice, gentle campfire sing-along"Scalding Creek," smiling and gently swaying back and forth when suddenly Greg Demos or somebody drunkenly trips over the amp in the middle of the song and an ear-destroying "SPROIIINNNNNNGGGG!!!!!" of the crashing reverb spring made me jump 50 feet in the air. One of the most unexpected moments in rock history. It doesn't happen on the beat like you'd expect it...It just comes out of nowhere...(Note: Now that I think about it, I've also been frightened by any song with a police siren that comes on while I'm driving)....



Best Songs: "Dusty Bushworms" and "Spring Tiger." Especially "Spring Tiger" which has a staccato "Oh, Oh" melody that has a way of insidiously worming its way deep into your brain. It's just a fantastic song, possessing a swirling, low-key splendor.  Also don't miss the boppy British Invasion wonder "Melted Pat."

Least favorites: Nothing too egregious here. I could really take or leave "Mobile" or "Blue Moon Fruit." "Blue Moon Fruit" has the distinction of being the only GBV song I can't seem to remember. I can look at any GBV release and hum the melody to every song except this one. Listening back to it that's not too surprising. It's mostly some loud, unsteady drums with Bob singing an incomprehensible,  reverb-heavy, country-ish melody. 

Biggest WTF Moment: "The Queen of Second Guessing." Pollard runs his vocals through a wah pedal and the results are fucking hilarious! When I first heard this I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe and had to keep repeating the song. Chances are, if you're ever hanging out listening to music with me you're eventually going to hear me play this song two or three times in a row...Man! Y'know what it sounds like? Exactly like that Eric Idle Transformer!


Alright, let's get to the GBV singles and 10-minute EP rankings. I think I'm going to have to put "Get Our of My Stations" one centimeter below "The Grand Hour." I think "Get Out of My Stations" has a lot more high points than "The Grand Hour" but the "Grand Hour's" single high point just so happens to be "Shocker in Gloomtown," so it's getting the nod...

1. The Grand Hour
2. Get Out of My Stations

Okay, let's listen to some music...Here's "Spring Tiger" by Guided by Voices...Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment