Saturday, December 10, 2016

face to face: face to face

Face to face ST 1996 album.jpg

face to face: face to face

1996

A&M Records

Format I Own it on: Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1. Resignation  2. Walk the Walk  3. Blind  4. Ordinary  5. I Won't Lie Down  6. Can't Change the World  7. Handout  8. Everything's Your Fault  9. Take It Back  10. Complicated  11. Put You in Your Place  12. Falling


The album "face to face" by the band face to face featuring the hit single "face to face." Y'know, as time goes on I appreciate this album more and more. Nowadays when pressed to name my favorite face to face album, I might have to go with this one. Which is weird, because it doesn't feel as jam-packed with stunning hits as the first couple, but the hits that are here hit hard. And they sound fucking fantastic.


Matt Riddle and his rattly bass are gone, which robs the band of one of their most easily recognizable facets but ultimately ends up not hurting things much at all. Scott Shiflett's playing is more fluid and melodic and highlights the songs more. And while the first album had an appealingly scrappy sound, this recording is pretty much an ideal example of how slick, corporate punk should sound. Thick, tough, dark, hard. Not unlike my shlong (sorry).

And I'd name about 3 of these tracks as the best face to face ever laid down. period. (y'know I mean business when I actually write down the word period and not just the punctuation mark). "Blind" is just a nice, simple, effective melody that hits a perfectly melancholy note while featuring some great sounding harmonies. "I Won't Lie Down" is a dense powerhouse that has an unforgettable chorus. I remember this getting some light airplay at the time, but Christalmighty.  This should have ruled radio back in '96. Its' failure can only be chalked up to everybody was too busy paying attention to Gravity Kills' masterful "Guilty." Duh.


The big song on here, and in the running for the band's definitive moment, is "Complicated." The perfect face to face chorus. And there's a a section of the song that's so "fuck yea" that it kills me every time I hear it. It's when the song suddenly puts on the breaks and goes into a dark, shadowy, emo-ish alley that is so effective that you kind of forget about the rest of the song. Then suddenly the drums suddenly get a skip in their step, the band winds up and BOOM! That glorious chorus hits in again and it sounds so much more powerful for its extended absence. Just a brilliant arrangement.


Alright, I've got to blow this shithole. But before we go, let's listen to some damn rock. Here's "Complicated" by face to face. Enjoy it while you can...



No comments:

Post a Comment