Saturday, May 7, 2016

Chron Gen: Nowhere to Run


















Chron Gen: Nowhere to Run

1984

Picasso Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. Too Much Talk  2. Misadventure  3. Breakdown  4. Pretend  5. Fiasco  6. Pictures Paint Minds


Chron Gen didn't release much in their time...Just one full-length, a live album, a few singles and "Nowhere to Run," which was their final EP. Now, I have no idea what the fan reaction to this record was back in the day, but my guess would be that it was wildly, mohawk-twistingly unfavorable... 


 "OI! PLAY THE OLD STUFF, YE FECKIN' SCRUBBAH!!!" 

 Because the album kicks off with "Too Much Talk" which is fluffy, chugging, metal-flavored pop-punk...Lots of handclaps...Sorta reminds me of The Vibrators' "Disco in Moscow"..Pretty cool, actually...I can imagine a punk with a metal sweet tooth and a sorta open-mind enjoying this somewhat while his mates take the piss  but then "Misadventure" queues up next and features...gulp....POPPIN' FUNK BASS!!!



"WHY?!!...sob...Why the poppin' funk bass, ye olde tarts?!?!"

 And "Pretend" features a lovelorn Glynn Barber moaning and sobbing over some girl!?! Cripes! What's a punk to do?! 

Shut up and enjoy it that's what...I'm not particularly concerned over what is and isn't punk... All I know is  those above-mentioned songs are pretty cool and the entire second half of the album consists of nothing but absolute knockouts. The punky reggae "Fiasco" has some great dub effects for you to get lost in... The track can go on all day for all I care. Fucking love it. And "Breakdown" is QUITE POSSIBLY CHRON GEN'S ALL TIME BEST SONG! There, I said it! One of the catchiest pop-punk tracks I've ever heard. Glorious stuff if you're into fizzy headrushes...


This is the sort of album that could have only come out between 1980-1986. Back when punk bands were still expected to evolve and grow rather than put out the same album album forever. There's a lot of pitfalls when you're talking punk growth, but Chron Gen handles it beautifully. Is it "London Calling"? No. But it's a solid, melodic, energetic album full of memorable tunes. More than anything, this album makes me sad they called in a day after this. I would have loved to hear where else they were willing to go...

Here, I'll shut up so we can listen to some music...Here's "Breakdown" by Chron Gen. I highly recommend you check it out....Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment