Sunday, January 3, 2016

Dave Edmunds: College Radio Network Presents Dave Edmunds and Rockpile


















Dave Edmunds: College Radio Network Presents Dave Edmunds and Rockpile

1978

Swan Song Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. Introduction  2. Pause  3. Quotes  4. It's My Own Business  5. Interview  6. Deborah  7. Interview  8. Never Been In Love  9. Interview  10. A. 1. On The Jukebox  11. Interview  12. I Hear You Knocking


I live for odd vinyl releases like this...It's a ready-made radio show designed for stations hungry to fill an empty half hour and promote Dave Edmunds in the process...As far as I can tell, there was only one other entry in the "College Radio Network Radio Presents..." series, and that was for...




drumroll...


The one and only Carillo...

Wait...Who's Carillo?  

Ah, it doesn't matter...You wouldn't know it by talking to me these days, but I looooove the pre-Clear Channel era of radio...I can't tell you how many nights I spent glued to the dial, listening to King Biscuit, Metal Shop and other radio programs...And even though I had never heard this before (I'm not even sure it ever aired on radio), it takes me right back to those days...The infinitude of old radio...

This contains an exclusive live take of "I Hear You Knocking" (as loudly proclaimed on the sticker on the front cover), four tracks from "Tracks on Wax 4" and a smattering of introductions and interviews...One interesting interview segment consists of Dave discussing some game where you have to spend a pound for every minute that you're in the pub...I'm sure this game was much more difficult back in '78...An order of wings and a pitcher of beer will buy you a couple hours these days...


It's also interesting to get some insight intn the working relationship between Dave and Nick Lowe...My favorite track however is a brilliant piece of experimental musique concrete provocatively titled "Pause,"  which manages to convey the existential angst of modern living utilizing nothing but deafening silence between segments...A masterpiece of minimalist profundity that says more in a scant three seconds than most albums can say in an hour...Bravo!


I can really only recommend this to fans of radio curiosities and the hardest of hardcore Dave Edmunds fans who will probably cherish the interviews and the cool live version of "I Hear You Knocking"...I always have a hell of a good time listening to this...

You can listen to the whole thing here... Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment