Friday, August 22, 2014

Digger: The Promise of an Uncertain Future


















Digger: Promise of an Uncertain Future

1998

The Promise of an Uncertain Future

Format I Own it on: Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1. Pieces  2. Quitters Never Win  3. Tour Diary  4. Yammer  5. Board Games  6. Okay  7. Space Cadet  8. Living On A Couch  9. Picture Perfect  10. Day Off  11. Blocked Up  12. Stuck  13. Past Mistakes  14. Benner Has No Soul


Dang, sorry I haven't been able to update this as much as usual this month...I've been so busy  running my Fortune 500 company (somethingsoft) that I just plain haven't had a chance to explore the complex intricacies of Digger's Discography...But  I'm clearing my slate and tonight it's just you and me, lady...

I remember buying "The Promise of an Uncertain Future"when I was in college...I fell into some money (thanks, Mom) and bought this CD and a nice, tasteful pair of Jnco Jeans..


"No way, Daddy-o...These things are gonna be cool forever...Turn up that shit up!"


(cranks up some damn Coal Chamber...)

"Who would you rather bang? The chick bass player from Coal Chamber or (insert name of chick bass player from another 90's metal band)? hyuk...hyuk..."

Speaking of Nu-Metal, I had a very good friend who explained to me the difference between Mudvayne and Slipknot...The description really stuck with me for some reason...It was one of those weird moments where a spotlight shines down from the heavens on you, while you ask yourself, "Man, is this really a conversation I'm having?" Here it is...An explanation of what makes Slipknot and Mudvayne distinct musical entities:


"Slipknot wore masks, whereas Mudvayne had special-effects make-up..."

I don't know why but that answer is so simple and brilliant...Almost poetic...

Alright, I'm getting off topic...Here's the skinny, fatboy..."Promise of an Uncertain Future" is my personal favorite Digger album (of the ones I've heard anyway)...The band sounds much more mature, dropping most of the High School humor (minus the gross Taco Bell shout-out during "Tour Diary") and Madonna nostalgia of "Powerbait"...But it also doesn't get as introspective as the emo "Monte Carlo" album that would follow...This is just pure, heart-on-yer-sleeve pop-punk/near-emo..They sound toughened-up...Not as fluffy and geeky... 

The difference is immediately striking as soon as opener, "Pieces" begins...Their habit of stacking dual interlocking lead-vocal melodies over each other is incredibly exciting, and they use this technique throughout the album, which finally helps in establishing a unique, signature sound for the band..."Powerbait," however enjoyable most of it was, felt all-over-the-place...The band sounds so zeroed in here that the whole thing runs together on the first few listens, but I don't know many folks who listen to punk who can't overcome such an obstacle...
Despite the homogeneity of the sound and song-writing, I see "Space Cadet" often singled out as the album highlight...And it is an awesome song...Between the walloping guitars in the chorus and the spidery leads, this song does come off as a bit more dynamic than the others, particularly when it momentarily shimmers during the "...and now I'm wasting all my time..." tag....I can see how this might grab somebody's attention more than the other material on here...

I think I heard this album at the exact right moment in my life...A song like "Blocked Up" is precisely what a college kid needs...Those feel-good/feel-bad "I'm down but I'm not out" anthems...I can remember hearing this and singing along, throwing a few fists along with the crashing riffs..."Fuck you, cruel world! I'll show you! Just wait until 2 years when I get my Associates Degree in whatever subject it is that I show up for once every two weeks!" The hard-won optimism of "Okay" falls into this same category...Where you're as low as you can get, but you feel on top of the world...A difficult thing to capture in a recording, actually...

This is another one of those albums that always brings back a ridiculous flood of memories for me...And I think it still holds up...Sure, it's not the most ground-breaking music ever recorded or anything, but it's a solid-as-hell pop-punk record...Lots of hooks, but not too slick or sugary this time around...If you just out-and-out love the genre, then it's hard for me to imagine you not cranking this on a Friday Night...

Speaking of Friday Night, this feels like a good beer-drinkin' Friday...Like The beers will taste especially cold and crisp tonight...So we better get crackin'...


Clinkadink!

Here's "Pieces" by Digger...Happy Friday, forevermore...

No comments:

Post a Comment