Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Buzzcocks: Spiral Scratch

File:Spiralscratch.jpg

Buzzcocks: Spiral Scratch

1979

New Hormones Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. Breakdown  2. Time's Up  3. Boredom  4. Friends of Mine



I bought this 7 inch at Eastside Records on my birthday, last October. I kind of splurged on it ($14.99 bucks for a single!!) but I've been looking for a copy and they stated it was a second pressing, so I went for it...


...In the end I think I was swayed by the price tag that had the happy little tooth on it! So cute! Nothing like my angry teeth!


This is of course, the Buzzcocks legendary debut...Notable at the time for being self-released, which helped established the DIY ethos in the punk scene...It's also their only release with Howard Devoto (later of post-punk group Magazine) on vocals...

Growing up, I kept reading that the Devoto-lead Buzzcocks were a different animal than the Pete Shelley incarnation, but I was surprised to hear they pretty much sound exactly the same...Ridiculously energetic, pop songs with helium-voiced hooks and snappy drumming...John Maher is easily one of my favorite punk drummers of all time...I'm certain I've already raved about his fast and clean style in a previous post, but I honestly don't think I can rave on enough...This guy is fantastic!

My favorite track has to be the opener "Breakdown," which I originally encountered in a Shelley-sung version on the "French" live album...


Am I sure this is Howard Devoto? This sounds like Pete singing, but the cover only credits him as guitar and backing vocals....Huh...Anyway. it sounds like British Invasion pop on speed: Mouth foaming and anxious to get off the stage so they can read some book on existential french philosophy or something, and "Breakdown" exemplifies this style more effectively than any other track in the band's repertoire.

"Boredom" is another drop-dead classic that's remained an enduring entry into the Buzzcocks canon . Listen to them sing about boredom like it's the most exciting thing on Earth! Their boredom must be a lot more fun than mine...


My boredom usually involves some sort of Power-Point packed meeting or maybe a particularly long DMV line....That's why I usually try to have some Buzzcocks music on hand to help their boredom alleviate my boredom...

Hmm, I was about to end this post, but it feels too short...It's kind of hard to do a lengthy post on a single..I guess I could mention the other two songs..."Time's Up" has some pretty amusing response vocals...and "Friends of Mine" is all right...

Man! Still too short. How can I make this seem longer?

Ahhh, I know...Here's a 40 minute powerpoint video about Marketing...This should feel like an eternity...



Okay, here's "Breakdown" by the Buzzcocks...You've earned it...




No comments:

Post a Comment