Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Cheap Trick: Found All the Parts

File:Found All the Parts cover.jpg

Cheap Trick: Found All the Parts

1980

Epic Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl and Compact Disc

Track Listing: 1. Day Tripper (Live)  2. Can't Hold On (Live)  3. Such a Good Girl  4. Take Me I'm Yours


I think I went over this in the Captain Beefheart "Music in Sea Minor" post, but  this is one of the few ten inch records I own...I love the format...Not quite a single/not quite a full album...


 I'd always wondered about the prominent "Nu Disk" logo emblazoned on the cover, so I finally got around to researching  (or in other words, Googling it) and discovered that it was a line of $5.00 Ep's that Epic put out to promote seemingly lesser-known bands...What was Cheap Trick doing here? I don't know. Possibly to bring some prestige or visibility to the line?

"Found All the Parts" is made up of tracks from various sources...It kicks off with a fake-live cover of the Beatles "Day Tripper." Cheap Trick has always worn their Beatles influence on their sleeves, even going so far as releasing a live album where they cover "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" in its entirety...

File:Cheap Trick - Sgt. Pepper Live.jpg

...So it's no surprise that their take on "Day Tripper" closely follows the original...They don't especially do anything original with the song, but it's pretty notable for the ease in which they pull off the Goddamn Beatles...


The next track is an outtake from "At Budokan." I like "Can't Hold,On," it's sort of a generic bluesy number, not their best but not their worst..."Such a Good Girl" on the other hand, is one of the band's best... Top notch power-pop where everything is in place...Tight playing, crisp production, an interesting and innovative arrangement, hooks galore...Once I heard it I wondered how I ever lived without it...This song gets my highest possible recommendation...So if for nothing else, pick up "Found All the Parts" for this song...

The fourth and final track is "Take Me I'm Yours" which they wrote for Bryan Ferry and boy, you can tell...Robin Zander sounds exactly like him here...Listen to him sing the line, "You've got a new approach and the time is right " He's got  Ferry's elegantly disaffected croon down cold...


Oddly enough no one has posted any of the songs from "Found All the Parts" on youtube, and I don't particularly feel like doing it, but I did find one video of someone playing a record of "Such a Good Girl." Great song, but the sound quality in the video isn't the best...So here's a tinny version of "Such a Good Girl" by Cheap Trick...





No comments:

Post a Comment