Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Blindshot: Lacking



















Blindshot: Lacking

1997

Second Hand Records

Format I Own it on: Vinyl

Track Listing: 1. Brown Bag  2. Avenue  3. Clover  4. It Means Nothing  5. 9 A.m. Everybody  6. Turn  7. Chicken


I believe I originally got this  single at a 90's Warped Tour...I think the  band was giving them away in the parking lot or something...That's one thing I used to like about going to Warped Tours back in the day...Coming home with plastic bags full of free shit...Comps, stickers, the Sugar Ray "I Just Want to  Fly(swatter) (featuring Shaggy or something...)"...


I haven't been to a Warped Tour since the 90's...For one thing, I live in Tempe, Arizona now and the daily 116 degree temperature in the summer months has essentially turned the event into the annual Heatstroke-A-Palooza...


Plus, look at that line-up! Yuck! To be fair, there's quite a few bands on there I've never heard...Who knows maybe "August Burns Red" is awesome...Here, I'll check it out real quick...




...Nope...Not awesome...In fact it's probably the single most generic fake-metal band I've ever heard in my life...That's the thing...I used to go to the Warped Tour to see Bad Religion...or maybe Avail... There's nothing there for me anymore...I'm an old man now...Maybe I'll  check out the " 2013 Werther's Original Fest" or something...

 "Now I'm the Grand Dad..."

 Anyway,  "Lacking"  is a 7" ep from what is, I presume, a local band named Blindshot... I can't find any information online about this band at all...I found some ancient website by a Michigan "Ska-Punk band" called Blindshot ( http://blindshot1.tripod.com/blindshot.html ). But the site hasn't been updated in 10 years, and I'm not so sure it's the same band, since this single has no ska on it whatsoever...And I can't imagine a band switching to Ska after 1997...So my guess is that it's a different band...So I don't' know if these guys ever  got around to putting out a full length album...I for one would be interested to hear it...

The music is pretty much in line with what I remember about the Michigan punk scene in the late 90's...Sort of a more working class version of pop punk...Definitely rough around the edges, but enjoyably so...

There's some catchy songs here..."Clover" is a shining example of the hooky '97 style pop punk form...God, I wish there was still stuff like this coming out...I would kill to hear a fast, ragged pop punk album again...All I can find these days is watered down emo-mall punk...Sometimes I don't want mall punk...
 


I mean, I enjoy Orange Julius just as much as the next guy, but sometimes I don't want to punk out at the Mall...Let's punk someplace else...How about some Post Office punk...Or some Jumping Castle punk...Sorry, I can't think straight...That' big frothy photo of the Orange Julius I just posted looks so damn good...I can still remember the very first time I drank one of those things...It took me about 1 second to come to the conclusion it would taste better with rum in it...

Anyway, This Blindshot record is good..I can't find any Blindshot videos to post and I don't feel like converting the vinyl to digital right now...So instead, I'm posting an old Bill Cosby video I like ...Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment